Water pump replacement fail

Young Ed

Got the p15 all buttoned up and when the water level got high enough that it was going into the water pump water was pooring out from the gasket area. SHOOT! I couldn't tell if it was the gasket to the block leaking or the water pump to back plate.

Got the p15 all buttoned up and when the water level got high enough that it was going into the water pump water was pooring out from the gasket area. SHOOT! I couldn't tell if it was the gasket to the block leaking or the water pump to back plate.
Hey Ed, we Minnesota guys have had a bad run of leaks lately:mad:

Ya less then a week until back to the 50s too. Not cool. The other really sucky part is for some reason on my car in order to remove the fan and pulley I had to pull the radiator! So it was quite a bit of work doing the water pump. Anyone else with a p15 have this same issue?

whenever I assemble an engine, I usually fill it with water instead of coolant in case there are leaks...there's less of a mess, and it allows the thermostat to cycle faster. I usually run the motor for several hours of operation to kinda flush out any crud that I missed during disassembly. it's also cheaper...but only done during non-winter months.

Shel thats very possible. I did have the frame checked at a shop though. Also because it was winter already we really hurried assembling the new front clip so that could be outta wack too.

I have the same issue with mine Ed. The fan is so close to the radiator I have to pull the rad out before I can pull the fan. I feel better doing it that way anyway.

I changed the water pump on mine several years ago. It was running out. I bought it from Andy B and found out it was pouring out the weep hole. I remember calling him and him saying "It's just the weep hole, it is supposed to be that way." So I said maybe so, but probably not pouring out like it was. He replaced it with another and it was fine. I thought I had a gasket leak, but not so.

I just put more water in it and checked again and the weep hole feels dry. Its coming out the bottom someplace and running down both sides of the front motor mount. Tomorrow the radiator and then the pump comes back off.

I just put more water in it and checked again and the weep hole feels dry. Its coming out the bottom someplace and running down both sides of the front motor mount. Tomorrow the radiator and then the pump comes back off.

Did you coat the bolts with sealer? I didn't and they leaked.

Yup non hardening permatex #2 on all 3.

Ed when I had the leaks I drained the block and jacked up the front of the car to drain all remaining water towards the back of the block. Then I blew all the holes dry and even used paper towels in the holes to wick out as much as I could before putting the bolts back in. When you have it apart re-check the gasket also. On the bolts I used reinforced rubber sealing washers along with a split lock and goobered up the washer some with the sealer----this is on the pump only--------no leaks:D Hope you make it it in time....Lee

If I remember correctly on my 39 Desoto one of the bolts that holds the backing plate onto the back of the water pump does not get a washer. I did a water pump severalyears ago but can not remember which bolt it was. Refer to your repiar manual it might inform you about the top bolt. I do know there is something differect that you need to do.

rich

Hmm well all four had lock washers on them. Since I switched the backing plate to the one without the hole in it I put new washers on. They must have used some cheap ones before because they were smushed flat.

Ed,

i will check my repiar manual tonight when I get home from work. If I can find the info I will scan it a place on this post.

Hope you figure out this leaking issue.

rich Hartung

Ed,

i will check my repiar manual tonight when I get home from work. If I can find the info I will scan it a place on this post.

Hope you figure out this leaking issue.

rich Hartung

Ed, i checked my 39 desoto repair manula and here is what I found. On the backing plate it states that use a washer in place of lockwasher under the screw going into the water passage. I do not know the reasoning behind this but there is a picture of this in the manual so it definately must be for some reason. It might be that if you have the lockwasher it might hit the water distribution tube and the pump might not seat properly.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Rich thanks for that. I'm not sure why that would be. The new pump came with for weenie split washers. Since there was no spring left to them when I switched backing plates I installed four new ones. FYI the pump was built using metric threads for the backing plate screws and they have a smaller head then what was in the old one.

I pulled the pump out again last night. With CSI Dad on the case too it appears the leak was caused by me missing a piece of old gasket on the old backing plate. So another cleaning and a new gasket and it seems to be good. Will keep an eye on it but it seems ready to roll.

The big trip is over. Back to the 50s is only a few miles from home. Next weekend we are going to a car show in WI with the plymouth club. Yeah

So far so good. This weekend will be the big test all the cruising around for back to the 50s. Already at the host hotel I saw a 37 (Ithink) mostly stock with dual carbs and split exhaust.