Fuel Pressure Problems

BloodyKnuckles

So, I'm enjoying the beautiful 80 degree weather we had yesterday while driving the Plymouth. When all of a sudden it felt as I was running out of gas. Pulled over. Went through the typical routine of checking and cleaning all 3 of my glass fuel bowls and filters. The fuel pump had the most sediment with half of the bowl full of large chunks of stuff. Then the ceramic filter was pretty dirty and the bowl had a bunch of real fine sediment. Then my "Mileage Minder" pressure regulator had only a very little bit at the bottom.

So after cleaning and priming the carbs I got it running again. But, the Pressure Gauge read 4 pounds at start up but it began to creep lower and lower until it hit 0.

What do you think could be causing the low pressure reading? Dirty lines from the tank? Bad "Mileage Minder"? What??

Thanks guys!

BloodyKnuckles

Any time your fuel pressure slowly drops after running for while you should suspect the gas tank is not vented properly. The pump will maintain good pressure until a vaccuum developes in the tank, because air cannot get in to replace the gas drawn out.

A simple test is to remove the gas cap when the pressure drops. The pump will again be able to suck gas, you may even hear the air rush in when you loosen the cap. I hope this helps.

If you had sediment in your filters, you probably have some on the internal screen in the fuel pump. When it stalls, the heavier stuff will fall off when the suction goes away, then when you start driving again it will suck back up on the screen.

Probably not this drastic but you get the picture. Remove the center bolt in the lower section of the fuel pump and pull the bottom off exposing the screen. Also check the bolt, it hollow and migh also have som crap in it.

img0060gc5.jpg