Pistons for a T173

Hi folk, well had the bad news today.. need new pistons for my T173, sleeves and a whole lot more. loads of money if I use the engineers... So, Wonder if any one here can help me with a set of oversize pistons or other engine parts bearings etc?

cheers ryan :mad:

Are you asking if folks have extra parts on their shelves, or are you asking for sources of new parts??? If new parts, I would check out the folks ar Vintage Power Wagons, Eggy, or call the fine folks at Terril machine in texas. All these suppliers particulars are in the vendor links on the main page of the P15 D 24 site.

Its very hard to kow what you need till the egine is pulled down and evaluated, like what sized pistons, what size repair bearings etc.

Ryan,

Everything that Greg guy tells ya' is right on. PLUS, there's sorfa' a cunundrum here, that yer lookin' down the barrel of . . .

Goes like this: don't buy new pisgons till you know what size you need. AND hey can't tell that till they bore the block.

Don't bore the block to a specific size till you know if the pistgons are available in that partivcular size - especially with old engines like ours where parts availability is sorta' iffie . . .

Sorta' like chicken 'n egg time, what?

Best bet is to have yer machnist mike the cylinders and tell you the minimum bore job that will clean the cylinders up to perfection. Then with that knowledge, go shop for pisons - VPW's usually got the most stock of oversize pisgons. Get what you need from wherever you can, and then with the pistons safely in hand, have the machinist bore the block.

The final stage in the boring process is to hone the cylinders with a rigid hone, to get the pistons to fit just right, and the man who does the job will need a piston at hand for that step.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck. Let us know how you make out.

Are you asking if folks have extra parts on their shelves, or are you asking for sources of new parts??? If new parts, I would check out the folks ar Vintage Power Wagons, Eggy, or call the fine folks at Terril machine in texas. All these suppliers particulars are in the vendor links on the main page of the P15 D 24 site.

Its very hard to kow what you need till the egine is pulled down and evaluated, like what sized pistons, what size repair bearings etc.

Thanks for the reply, a Piston set here in Australia is around $800 bucks, thats just the pistons, no guides or pins.. so, i Thought I get them from the states, hence the question. chhers ryan

Thanks, yes The machinist is going to measure and then let me know. I still have another engine KEW..but am hesitant to clean it up and get is going..I have to take head off, I could spend time / money on that and then still have the same result: a stuffed engine.. so hence I wanted to stay with the original engine the T173

Greg......what engine is this for?.....I have 3 sets of pistons and rings.......what size do you need?.........better still......phone me at my shop Sat morning......I am in South Grafton NSW, 02-66 435260.......the shop is Scale Automobilia........regards, Andy Douglas.....btw these are my cars.......I have been playing with mopar since 1971........andyd

post-1938-13585352737505_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585352737823_thumb.jpg

OOPS........sorry, Ryan.........whats the engine size.......I have rechecked what I have and I have 3 sets of rings and a set of pistons with pins, thought there were 3 sets of each......if you are interested either call me at the shop or at home on 02 66425963........won't be $800 that s for sure........lol......andyd

Depending on what the 173 measures up like it might pay to look into the KEW.

I`ve just stripped down 2 KEW`s (one with 98,000 miles on it), if I had to I would re-ring either of them and get one going again.

As it turnes out because of the 0.030" over size pistons in one engine I can re-use them again by boring out a standard bore block to suit.

DSC05796.jpg

Hey andy, Thanks and yes, I will ring monday/tuesday.. Have to speak to the machinist about piston size needed.:cool:..

Greg......what engine is this for?.....I have 3 sets of pistons and rings.......what size do you need?.........better still......phone me at my shop Sat morning......I am in South Grafton NSW, 02-66 435260.......the shop is Scale Automobilia........regards, Andy Douglas.....btw these are my cars.......I have been playing with mopar since 1971........andyd