Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Oil tube fitting

DonaldSmith

I've got the add-on bypass filter on my DeSoto engine. There was a leak at the fitting at the block. This is a brass fitting more like an "F" than a Tee. The end has a 1/8-inch pipe fitting that screws into the block. The top has two threaded openings to receive 1/8-inch reverse flange tubing, like brake lines. One tube goes to the oil gage. (I replaced the brittle flex hose with new brake hose.) The other tube goes to the top of the oil filter housing.

I'm afraid that at some point I distorted the fitting in removing or installing it. I cobbled together some piping and an available tee fitting, but if I ever have to remove the starter I would have to undo all this piping.

Does anyone have an extra "F" fitting ling around? Let me know. Send me a PM.

Thanks.

Might want to take a peek in the stock room of your local parts store. Just last week I had a bent brass fitting for the carb. No one had it listed in books or on the computer but the guys at Advanced Autoparts let me sort through their part drawers in back and found it. I was looking quite a bit and did manage to screw together a hodgepodge of fittings to get the desired connection angles as well. Good luck!

You are correct. There is an F fitting for the two oil lines. Check with Frank Mitchel or some of the major vednors to see if they have them. Miller tools made a special crows foot tool to disconnect these two lines.

You should use the flarenut wrenches when ever taken apart these tyr of fittings since they go around the fittings and get a better grip on the brass nut.

Send me your eamil address and I will send you a picture of the tool.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Most engines have one fitting for the oil filter and a second one for the pressure gauge, each coming out of a different hole in the block. I believe there are four separate taps along the oil race that can be used.

Might be on most engines. But on my 1933 engine there is an "F" fitting to feed both the oil filter and the oil pressure gauge. I vaguely recall replacing the original with a duplicate when I put things back together but I don't have an old one in my "miscellaneous brass fittings" organizer drawer nor do I recall what store I got such a fitting. Probably a false memory about replacing it.