Ram Hood ornament

On page 32 of the May/June Vintage Truck magazine shows a 53 with the Ram's head hood ornament. Anyone know they were part of an option package like the deluxe interior or something?

Dan Olson

like the new styled rams head?have a picture since I dont have the magazine? is there an online version?

the only old ones I have seen are the rams with the body and legs, I have 2 different ones, both show full body but different styled / years.

I have two B3B's and one B3C, all with deluxe cabs. Only the '52 B3B has a hood ornament. I suspect the chrome hood ornament was a dealer extra due to cost, particularly since there were US Govt restrictions on chromium and pot-metal due to the Korean conflict. The B2 chrome grills were changed to painted sheet metal in the B3 series models for this reason. Once the crisis ended, US cars and trucks became more tricked out with chrome in the mid-and late fifties, the beginning of the muscle car era.

Jim in Dallas

Yeah, according to Bunns/Brownells book

"For the first time since 1933, the famous Dodge ram hood ornament was no longer a standard feature. It could be purchased,however,as an extra-cost option."

Thats intresting my hood has the ram hood ornament on it and it was a stdandrad cab no corner windows it's a '48 '49 or '50 not sure wich year exactly

Bryan

Yeah, according to Bunns/Brownells book

"For the first time since 1933, the famous Dodge ram hood ornament was no longer a standard feature. It could be purchased,however,as an extra-cost option."

Blohmiller, plug your vin number here and find out your model, year and factory.

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

If your driver's side ID plate is missing, the number is stamped on the driver's side frame directly behind the front left wheel.

Jim in Dallas

I misplaced the vintag I took it off befor i brought the truck down from my aunts so I could research it now I can't find it and my frame has no markings on it either so I'm kinda SOL here for now till I remember where I stashed the vintag

Bryan

Blohmiller, plug your vin number here and find out your model, year and factory.

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

If your driver's side ID plate is missing, the number is stamped on the driver's side frame directly behind the front left wheel.

Jim in Dallas

I misplaced the vintag I took it off befor i brought the truck down from my aunts so I could research it now I can't find it and my frame has no markings on it either so I'm kinda SOL here for now till I remember where I stashed the vintag

Bryan

I did the same thing, took it off for the rebuild etc and then couldnt find it, finally a few weeks later stumbled across it and found that I had put it in a safe place, just forgot where the safe place was at the time.....:cool:

I put it back on the other day, I am also going to look at my frame tomorrow to see if it is stamped /marked as stated earlier.

okies, here ya go.

5751942[/img]

Of these two hood ornaments pictured the top one looks to be off a 1946-8 Dodge car and the correct lower truck one is common to all B1/2 series 1948-50 trucks. B3 series trucks-1951-3 hardley ever are seen with the genuine factory Dodge truck Ram style hood ornament. People will put a 1953/4 Dodge car ornament on these trucks- myself included!

Bob

Of these two hood ornaments pictured the top one looks to be off a 1946-8 Dodge car and the correct lower truck one is common to all B1/2 series 1948-50 trucks. B3 series trucks-1951-3 hardley ever are seen with the genuine factory Dodge truck Ram style hood ornament. People will put a 1953/4 Dodge car ornament on these trucks- myself included!

Bob

thanks for the info. I have a 53 and no ornament, I will probably put the longer truck one on it.

the second one will be put on a hood panel I am making, just a center piece basically so the motor shows from the sides. my truck is probably not to appreciated on this forum as most are fully restored, where as, mine is very clean, its still in primer, the interior is almost done and its nice.

The truck is being set up as a toy, fats on the rear, ladder bars, skinnys on the front, straight axle and a fully built SBC (<~~yeah, I know)

to make up for putting a SBC in my dodge, I put a 440 in my 31 chevy:eek:

thanks for the info. I have a 53 and no ornament, I will probably put the longer truck one on it.

the second one will be put on a hood panel I am making, just a center piece basically so the motor shows from the sides. my truck is probably not to appreciated on this forum as most are fully restored, where as, mine is very clean, its still in primer, the interior is almost done and its nice.

The truck is being set up as a toy, fats on the rear, ladder bars, skinnys on the front, straight axle and a fully built SBC (<~~yeah, I know)

you're ok with me anyways. If you look at some of my old posts, you will see that I have chopped mine, suicided the doors, put in a 49 plymouth dash and am now setting the body on a 91 Dodge Dakota frame and running gear. there are numerous interests here on this forum and all great guys. Bud

As long as your having fun with what your doing- I say do it! I got my 1st Dodge p/u ( a 1952) in 1972 and wanted a hood ornament on it, went to a swap meet and asked a guy if he had one for my 52 and he said yes. I bought it put it on and it's still on it today--- at the time I had no idea what was supposed to be on one of these trucks- he sold me a 1946-8 Dodge car hood ornament ! It's good as is. It's shown on the dark green truck.

Bob

........and my frame has no markings on it either so I'm kinda SOL here for now

Believe me, your truck number is there, probably under 59 years of crud, paint or rust. Take some steel wool and work around the area. Suddenly a number will show up and then you can eventually make out the vin number. Visit this post.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=4039&highlight=location+of+vin+number

you're ok with me anyways. If you look at some of my old posts, you will see that I have chopped mine, suicided the doors, put in a 49 plymouth dash and am now setting the body on a 91 Dodge Dakota frame and running gear. there are numerous interests here on this forum and all great guys. Bud

I know who you are, I am "turboroadster" (I turbo'd my Harley Roadster) on the HAMB. I've been following your posts over there :D

I had taken a wire brush to both front frame rails to clean them up befor i noyiced how bent they were no numbers were there at all

Bryan

Believe me, your truck number is there, probably under 59 years of crud, paint or rust. Take some steel wool and work around the area. Suddenly a number will show up and then you can eventually make out the vin number. Visit this post.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=4039&highlight=location+of+vin+number

I kept reading posts about serial numbers on frame rails. I'm here to tell ya' that there is no number on my 1948 frame. Spent hours with a big cup brush cleaning up the areas where everyone else found theirs, but nada. No dice. Fortunately I still had the ratty old data plate lying in the glove box when I bought it. Mebby the Detroit number guiy on the line was late that day and mine slipped by. Who knows . . . :eek:

Bob

I just picked up the top hood ornament (46-48 Dodge) at the Mount Vernon swap meet today. VERY NICE with just some light speckling on it, Chrome is shiny. Just curious, what are they worth? Don't know if I will put it on my truck or not, it was just too purty to pass up. Bud

I just picked up the top hood ornament (46-48 Dodge) at the Mount Vernon swap meet today. VERY NICE with just some light speckling on it, Chrome is shiny. Just curious, what are they worth? Don't know if I will put it on my truck or not, it was just too purty to pass up. Bud

$10-$100.00 is my guess. Depends on how sharp the buyer or seller is- Mt. Vernon should be kinda cheap!

Bob