Pilot-House Registry?

bobaloo11

Bob,

Over the past few years, some very nice things have come out of DPECTA - a CD with all the forum archives that allows you to do a mass search for just the topics you have on your heart - the member registry - an interesting CD or DVD of Dodge factory photos and collector trucks and some fine Pilothouse calendars.

Brother, you are in some fahannne companyd!:) :) :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Body # should be on plate on the engine side of the cowl (drivers side)

Wow, I hadn't noticed that little plate before.

One of the other side benefits is that I checked all of the numbers on my insurance card and discovered that my actual serial number was wrong. I called American Collectors this morning and had it corrected.

I noticed that the pull down for the Gross Weight has only one value but there are three values for the 1/2 ton pickup listed in Bunns book. 3850 gets overload springs and a 16 x 4.5 rim with a larger tire. The smaller ones have 16 x 4.00 rims. Finding a rim for this truck was a chore.

Dennis,

If you have a value for GVW that is not listed please let me know. All the ones listed came from actual tags. So far I have found that the numbers on the tags don't always agree with what any of the books list. I have checked about 50 B-1-B to B-4-B model trucks personally and so far there has been only one GVW for the 1/2 tons from 1948-52 of 4,850. In 1953 (and one lone 1952) the GVW is 4,900.

For the body tag and other info click on the "help" link on the main page for detailed pictures and descriptions.

Thanks to everyone who added their truck!

I don't have all the pages done, sorry about that. I hope to add a few more help pages, and get the worksheet set up better soon.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this better.

The goal was just to give people a place to show off their trucks. At the same time I am hoping the lists of information and the pictures help others with understanding their truck. For example knowing what GVW to stamp on a replacement tag (a common question) or seeing a specific detail on the same year and model truck. My hope with things like the casting numbers on the blocks is that it will turn out to be a backup on the stamped engine number. A lot of engines were replaced over the years and a few of them were restamped with the original engine number. Knowing both the correct engine number and block casting number might be useful to someone trying to establish if their engine is original.

This is one of three registries that I host, and the forth that I have helped create. The first one went live in 2004, the second one in 2006 and the last two in 2010.

Here are the registries I host or helped set up:

http://www.townwagon.com/4853registry/index.php

http://www.townwagon.com/3947registry/index.php

http://www.townwagon.com/powergiantregistry/index.php

http://t137.com/registry/index.php

Please feel free to add any truck you find no matter how little of it is left. A couple people have gone as far as adding trucks based on old paperwork, which I found very interesting.

Eric

Dennis,

If you have a value for GVW that is not listed please let me know. All the ones listed came from actual tags. So far I have found that the numbers on the tags don't always agree with what any of the books list. I have checked about 50 B-1-B to B-4-B model trucks personally and so far there has been only one GVW for the 1/2 tons from 1948-52 of 4,850. In 1953 (and one lone 1952) the GVW is 4,900.

Thanks to everyone who added

Eric

Page 52 of the Pilothouse Book lists three chassis ratings as follows:

Code 42 = 4250 lb rim 4.0 x 16 tire 600 x 16 4ply

Code 45 = 4500 lb rim 4.0 x 16 tire 600 x 16 6 ply

Code 48 = 4850 lb rim 4.5 x 16 tire 650 x 16 6 ply

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for listing that information.

Have you ever found any of those numbers stamped on a door tag? There are lots of numbers in books that never made it onto a truck. Just check some of the body tag listings in the parts books.

I am not disagreeing with your source, or the idea that there were different GVWs that you could order. My only point is that from what I have seen Dodge did not acknowledge that when they stamped the tags.

Every 1948-52 1/2 ton I have checked, regardless of how it was set up, had a GVW on the tag of 4,850.

If you or anyone else finds a different number stamped on a tag I will be really interested to see it. Finding a tag stamped 4500 would be exciting to me as so far those numbers have only been found listed in books, not on the actual tags of trucks. Maybe Dodge felt they should stamp all the trucks with the max GVW in case you changed tires down the road or something?

Eric

• 1 year later...

It's back up now. There was a billing hassle with the hosting company (they forgot to bill me for a service and so they shut the site down because I didn't pay for that service. A bit of a catch 22 that took an hour on chat to straighten out), but it is all straightened out now.

http://www.townwagon.com/4853registry/index.php

You may have to restart your browser to see it.

Thanks for your patience.

I'm hoping to to see 200 trucks in the registry by the end of 2013!

Eric