56 dodge c3 jobrated build thread

The 277 is considered an A engine and still a poly. Its a good engine and would get around 185hp with a 2 barrel and 200hp with a 4 barrel carb according to Allpar.com

The 46 Dodge engine would be a flathead 6 cylinder. You would need a 54-56 bellhousing to make it work since the older bellhousing isnt compatible with the pedals and rear engine/tranny mounting. I would not go backwards to the flathead since you already have a V8 with double the HP currently in the truck. I have the flathead now and am working on installing my 270 V8 in its place. The flathead is reliable and a good runner, but for the amount of freeway driving I do, I would really like to have more power. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not up dating the progress we have made on our truck lately......

So to give a update on our progress as of lately. My husband has pulled out the engine and transmission  and has started tearing it down. As for pictures and a little more of a description of the progress, I will post up more with in the next day or two.......

The last week or two we have been busy and time has been getting away from us....

But I will get more up as soon as I can....:) 

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:41 PM, 56 dodge c3 jobrated truck said:

Ok so our engine is juat a regular 277? Or is it still considered a poly hemi?

My husband said he loves the engine............... 

Also  would you be able to tell us if it is possible to put a engine and transmission from a 46 dodge into our truck?

...words have meaning........

Your 277 is of the 'A' engine family (277,301,303, 313, 318, 326), called the 'Poly', and used from 1956 through 1966, in Plymouth, Dodge and Dodge Trucks. Chrysler and DeSoto did not use the A engine. There are significant differences with the bellhousing bolt pattern and the crankshaft for the 1962 model year so engine swaps must bear this in mind.

As mentioned, replacement parts are readily available with the exception of particular pieces like the pistons. If you determine that the list of needed engine parts is getting expensive then consider shopping for another engine and, perhaps, a post-62 engine would be worth the extra labour..... Craigslist is your friend.

Also as mentioned, since you have the v-8 already it would be easier to keep it instead of gathering the needed parts to install an L6.

• Like 1

Ok my husband has torn down the engine  already. Our concern we are having is when he took off the oil pan he found a crack on what I believe is called the crank shaft gear......  If i am wrong on what the part is called please forgive me. My question now is can we get some input in regards to this.......

Here are some pictures i have an arrow pointing to what im talking about....

20170416_232727_LI.jpg

Here is another concern we are having........

This picture is of where the motor mounts sit on........

As you can see where the arrows point to.....  The mounts are held to these with u-bolts. And the only reason that they are able to hold the motor up, is cause the u-bolts are attached to the motor mounts. Which are set at a certain width and cannot bend or shift from where they attach to the engine block ...... Also in the next two pictures you can see that the passenger side is a thicker metal  then the driver side..... and both are only welded to the frame at the bottom and not the top.

Where are the motor mounts supposed to sit at?

20170404_110700_LI.jpg

First off, those motor mounts are home made. When using the 259/270 there is a u shaped mount that mounts under the water pump and holds the front of the engine. I don't know if the stock mounting could be used without seeing the front water pump setup. Also, what does the side of the block look like where the mounts attach on the 277? Fabbing up a new set of mounts isn't all that hard.

As for the crankshaft, let's see a better picture of the hole/crack. 

IMG_1244.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

Yup, the 'crack' is in the side of the balancing hole in the crankshaft counterweight. Not an issue. If it bothers you then hit it with a round file until it goes away.

Yeah, those mounts are something else. I'd be getting rid of them regardless of what engine goes back in....make new pieces.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting anything for the past couple weeks. But here is a update on our progress.....

My husband has already primered the cab of the truck and has started to primer the front clip and bed of the truck yesterday and today. Hopefully he will let me take some pictures tonight so i can post late tonight or in the morning bright and early......  But i will get more pictures up.

Our income has gotten a little bit on the tighter side so our build will be a very slow build. But we are just that much determined to get her done even more now.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that I havent put any pictures up yet. Been busy with our kids. Having teenagers in high school and prom for one was this past weekend.

I just wanted to give a quick update to what my husband has been up to lately with our truck.....  

We did manage  to get another engine for the truck. We found a 318 out of a 1970 Plymouth Duster. We also got a 904 transmission with the engine that came off the same Duster. So at least that is what we were told. But in the driveway the guy did have a 70 Duster parked that was rear ended.  We do need to replace the gaskets and all that on the engine due to it has been sitting out of the car in a garage for a good amount of years.

The same guy had a 1937 Dodge truck parked in his garage. We did ask if he was here on the forum but he never said exactly if he is or not.  

And here is a new picture of the cab now that it is primered.

20170502_102403.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry we had been very very busy with proms and graduations.......... What little time we had for the truck is what you see in the pictures.

The rims are not the ones we are going to go with. The rims on the truck we put on there just to be able to move it in and out of the garage. The rims we are going to go with are red stock rims with grey moon caps. We still have not named her yet.... Also the seam above the rear window as you can see is gone. My husband said it just didnt look right. it seemed like a after thought. More like a flat top gone bad. So it is now gone. Which it looks better in our opinion. Also we wont be having rust issues there anymore.

Now as for the engine update........ We do have a 318 out of a 70 Duster. The engine might need a rebuild. If anyone here in California can help us out with that we would appreciate it.  But we now need a transmission and may need the driveline also. If anyone here in california has either or both items for sell please let us know. Note to readers I will be posting what we are needing in the other section as well.

The 277 we do still have but I (the wife) had a Dodge truck with a 318 so decided to have my husband get the 318 for our truck instead. Just being picky.... Like most women are. And yes I am very picky! :rolleyes:

20170610_225317.jpg

20170610_225401.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good. I have always thought the same thing about the seam around the roof. Good call! 

As for the wheels, the red wheels are getting a bit old. I say run the spokes and be different. I think it would look good low on those!

3 hours ago, wayfarer said:

I have always been fond of the cop car wheels. The 7x15 works with many tire sizes.

Ya you and lots of others. They are somewhat expensive when you find them. I know someone with 2 but I haven't bought them because of issues with finding 2 more!

20 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Looking good. I have always thought the same thing about the seam around the roof. Good call! 

As for the wheels, the red wheels are getting a bit old. I say run the spokes and be different. I think it would look good low on those!

Dont get us wrong we like the spokes as well but where we live we would get pulled over all the time.

• Like 1

Here is a little preview of what the bed looks like. The colors are primer grey and cherry red. That I did choose. This is what my husband has done already. As you can see the rest of the bed still needs to be painted as also the front also needs to finish being painted. My husband did all this so I can take a picture to post up. Didnt want everyone to think we forgot about the forum.

20170613_133658.jpg

Edited by 56 dodge c3 jobrated truck
  • Like 1