positive ground ???

Don Jordan

I am not totally sure of my way around this board so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find any answers but I'll give it a try. I've got so many questions I really need to figure out how to work this forum.

Question: I want to put the battery charger on my 6 volt. It's in the car. Even though it has positive ground when I hook up the charger do I still put the red on positive and black on negative. And do I need to disconnect the battery first? Will it screw anything up if I charge it while it's connected?

I sure hope I'm going to be able to find this answer - I know my grand kids could.

Thanks,

Yes.

Red = Positive

Black = Negative

Doesn't matter how it's connected to the vehicle unless you're not connecting directly to the battery. If, for example, you are connecting to the starter cable at the starter, connect the Black lead to the cable terminal and the Red lead to the chassis. But it sounds like you're connecting to the battery, so Red to positive and Black to negitave like normal.

Merle

If you are using a trickle charger, which puts in the charge slowly and a little at a time, you can probably get by without disconnecting the cables from

the battery. I do that from time to time....does not seem to hurt anything.

If you are using a more powerful, fast charge I would unhook the cables.

Red to red. Black to black.....no matter the ground.

Hey Don Welcome to the board. General questions are always welcomed, and the positive ground thing does cause a lot of confusion for folks used to 12 V negative systems. The p15 d24 forum is for discussion regarding 46 through 48 plymouths and dodges in particular and most other mopar flathead 6 powered cars for the 30's to 59. The Pilot house section is for the truck guyd but a lot a mechanicals are shared amoung the cars and trucks so there is a lot of cross talk. This section the Tech archives is/was intended to be a repository of technical advice, howto's. photo documentation of processes and procedures. So look over the rest of the forum stuff,and check out the main page of the site which has a lot of information regarding thec cars and their drivetrains, and other mechanical systems.

Again welcome to the forum, and loke others you should find the information hear a great tool to further enjoyment of you fine old car.

• 1 month later...

I have tried to post in the other forums but I can't figure out how. The only reason I keep posting here is because I've figured out how to do it. I have some questions about my car but can't figure out how to post. I feel really stupid and hope someone with patience will assist me.

I'm not good with change - by the time I figured out how to use the old system it changed.

any help would be appreciated.

d-