Don Coatney Sighting

Jim Yergin

At 9 AM today, I was on my way out to find a replacement brake light switch to get my '41 on the road and to the show tomorrow at Sully. Just as I left my driveway I saw a blue '48 Plymouth coming toward me. As it got nearer I could see the car had Tennessee license plates. I knew it had to be Don. He was on his way from Tennessee to his hotel in Sterling, Virginia near the Sully show and stopped to say hello. He said the trip went without a hitch. It was great to see him and his car, which sounds great. I am looking forward to seeing him, Rodney, Chet, Greg, and Joe tomorrow at the show. Now I just have to finish the work on my car.

Jim Yergin

Don,

Yes I did find a brake light switch. Lucked into a really knowledgable counterman at the local "Bumper to Bumper." He went right to the parts book and found what I thought I needed. Unfortunately it did not fix my problem - no brake lights when I step on the brake pedal. Lights work when I by-pass the switch and they work when I have the switch out of the tee fitting but connected to the wires and blow 100 psi air into it. Didn't have the time to really get into it with the Sully show tomorrow so I went to Radio Shack and found a momentary push switch that is normally closed. I drilled a hole in the floor board under the brake pedal and mounted the switch. When the pedal is at rest it pushes in the switch and cuts the power to the brake lights. When the pedal is depressed it allows the switch to return to its normally closed position and the lights go on. Don't know how long it will work but for now at least the lack of brake lights will not be what keeps me from Sully. Unfortunately, by the time I had it fixed the big thunderstorms Don, Greg, Chet and Rodney experienced had rolled in and I did not get the chance to test drive the car. Looks like its maiden voyage will be tomorrow morning to the gas station to fill up. If it goes well then it will get a quick wash and then off to Sully.

Jim Yergin