Dakota Frame under D-24

gumpa_38

I am wondering if anyone has put a Dakota Frame under their D-24 and if the have used a Ford 5.0 in that application. Now before someone gets all upset about the Ford Dodge thing please understand that this is what we have to work with and can't afford to change our minds anymore. I have already changed horses once more than my wife can handle. My questions would be: how much can I move the 5.0 back to clear the crossmember and have room for the radiator in the stock location and what exaust manifolds or headers do I need to make it work right around the starter and steering. I am not new to rebuilding but I have never did this exchange before.

Sounds like a neat project. My advice: Throw the wife off your trail by buying a distraction...maybe a Studebaker pickup to run at Bonneville. Then she will hardly notice that silly D-24 project. I haven't tried any swaps this major but from what I hear the best thing is to do one or more mockups before you start assembling. The 5.0 Ford is a really versatile motor. I have an 86 Bronco with one. 130,000 and still running well. The later High Output models had some real punch. For headers you might want to check Summit Racing after you do some pre-measuring.

Some have had some experience witht he dakota front clip. mentioning it goes in real easy, and give you lots of options for motors as well as all the modern goodies. Which frame are you looking at? I believe the standard 2wd short box WB is 112, about a foot short for the D24. The extended cab is 117 I believe. Is there one that matches wheelbases? Seems likethe front clip is the quickest and easiest way, so you don't need to fab up body mounts and such. And unless your frame is damaged or rusted, whats wrong witht he rear portion of the stock frame???

My question is "WHY would you want to do all that work to put it on a Dakota chassis,when the original chassis at least as strong as the Dakota chassis,and probably stronger? Hell,it's boxed full length!

Seems like a nutty idea to me. Especially since you already have parrarel rear springs and a independent front suspension with the stock frame.

Bolt a 318 or one of the Mopar V-6's in there with auto overdrive,and go riding.

The floor is getting completely replaced so mounts aren't a problem. We will be z ing the frame in the rear and using the Dakota Rear end. I pulled the stock frame and have it sitting out side. The only thing wrong with it is some one in the past cut the trans cross member out of it and the steering is real sloppy. I already own the Dakota and the 5.0 so I have to use what we have. Gumpa

I pulled the stock frame and have it sitting out side. The only thing wrong with it is some one in the past cut the trans cross member out of it and the steering is real sloppy. Gumpa

Somebody was asking for a stock D-24 chassis the other day on one forum I visit. If I can remember where and who,I will try to hook the two of you up.

Sounds like a neat project. My advice: Throw the wife off your trail by buying a distraction...maybe a Studebaker pickup to run at Bonneville. Then she will hardly notice that silly D-24 project. I haven't tried any swaps this major but from what I hear the best thing is to do one or more mockups before you start assembling. The 5.0 Ford is a really versatile motor. I have an 86 Bronco with one. 130,000 and still running well. The later High Output models had some real punch. For headers you might want to check Summit Racing after you do some pre-measuring.

I can't bring the 52 Ford Pickup home to work on until the Dodge is done. The Dodge is going to be the Wife's car. When the Pickup is done I am selling off all the tools (Woodworking and Auto/sheetmetal) and we are going to sell the place and move into something smaller and easier to keep up. We are both getting to old to ride a lawn mower to mow 2 full acres and the up keep on this place is killing both of us.

Gumpa, you should talk to Roadrunner on this forum. If he's not doing a full restoration, your frame might work out for him. He'd be in good shape witth a rolling chassis to drop his P-10 sedan onto.

Somebody was asking for a stock D-24 chassis the other day on one forum I visit. If I can remember where and who,I will try to hook the two of you up.

Gumpa, if you're anything like me, it will be better to store that stuff, not sell it. If it's in yer blood, you're gonna want to use those tools again some day.

I am already stove up and with everything that is wrong with me I am going to keep some hand tools and some of the smaller power tools to work on what ever needs to be done but I am going to start volenteering as a Veterans Service Officer at the Prison and the Mission to keep myself real busy with out having to get dirty or banged up. Gumpa