Looking for opinions on a new to me 1948 Chrysler Windsor Highlander convertible

vanscooter

Thank you in advance. I have someone who wants to trade me this Chrylser. Pretty car. Older restoration. I know nothing about these. Black car, tan top, red plaid interior. Looks very sharp. Was looking for real world value. Thank you Christiaan in SE Pennsylvania

IMG_7411.jpeg

Edited by vanscooter

According to the November 2024 Old Cars Weekly Price Guide, if:

it was in #3 (Very Good) condition,  “Completely operable original or older restoration showing wear. Also a good amateur restoration, all presentable and serviceable inside and out. A 20 footer, where at 20 feet it looks perfect, but closer inspection might show thin paint, wear on the upholstery, etc. Their average listed value from recent sales was $14,850.

If it was in #2 condition (Fine), which they define as “Well restored or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original. Also an extremely well-maintained original showing minimal wear. They place a value based on recent sales of $25,200. Good looking car.

• Like 2

Today's market is pretty slow, values in general are down.  Side by side Chrysler  products don't fare well compared to similar GM or Ford. The folding top helps the value of this car.  If you are thinking it will increase in value over the next few years, it may, but not much.  If you are getting it to have a nice ride for cruise in, local cars shows, and pleasure drives and having the wind in your hair, go for it.  It will likely have a semi automatic transmission which was Chryslers answer to early selfshifting transmission.   It ain't no rocket ship.  Go to AllPar.com and search transmissions and fluid drive, and no, they are not the same. The Chrysler in question will likely have an M5 version,of the Presto matic version of te semi automatic,  it is a dual range gearbox with 2 speeds in each range. Normal driving is ment to be done in the two gear sets of High Range. Low range is only good for 20 mph so in most road driving situations is not needed,if you need to pull stumps, or pull a two ton trailer up hill, low range is your friend.   Once a gear range is selected, the clutch pedsl is no longer needed, the trans will shift , andcan be left in gear when stopped by the brakes. The transmissions are pretty bulletproof with most faults having to do with external controls and connections rather than internal hardware. 

Does the top work, are you happy with 0 to 60 in 25/30 seconds, with 60 mph as comfortable highway speed, is the fluid drive section free of visible leaks? (Not to be confused with a rear main seal leak of engine oil )

Would I like it in my garage?  You betcha!

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

Well, I haven't been to allpar in a while.  Looks like they changed things up and the pages I referenced are no longer there. There is some stuff on the AACA forums, but I can't get the link to copy.  If you find it the content there by Desoto Frank will be worth a read.  He was a member here, but hasn't posted in a long while.