Engine stand for Flathead 6

Cooper40
Go to solution Solved by soth122003,

While in a perfect world the load leveler works fine.

In the real world I have to do without .... it would do me no good today.

I literally have to lift the engine straight up in my wife car ...... then as a FWD car I need to set it down on blocks and reset the hoist to pull it vertically as much as is possible.

I can then gain more space and remove 2 more motor mounts. .... t is designed to be removed out the bottom.

While a load leveler  is awesome to have ..... It is not a end all cure all issue ..... Many people have them and just as many people never needed them.

I would love to have one .... I simply see no reason to spend $$ on one when it is not needed ..... It is a comfort and convenient  .... just never required.

Unless you do engine swaps often, you will not get full benefit from it. ..... What else you going to spend your retirement savings on?  ....

On 6/1/2024 at 4:54 PM, Cooper40 said:

@soth122003 Yes I've watched that video a bunch actually haha. That's a good idea to get a load leveler, it'll definitely make it a lot easier. Our car is out on grass away from our barn that we'll be putting the engine into so we're thinking of using our grandpa's tractor that has this grapple attachment to take it out. Might make it interesting connecting the load leveler to it but it'll be a lot easier to transport. 

@D35 Torpedo Ok, so you used your head bolts but put them into the side of the block instead of the head? I'll probably get new bolts because those head bolts were rusted and I don't trust them! 

No, i got two longer bolts and went through the top

I'd guess engine stands are like forklifts, the farther the center of the mass is from the attaching point the less can be lifted/supported safely.

• Like 1

Well all this talk about engine stands is infectious.

I got a coupon from Harbor Freight and I had to use it yesterday. So I looked at what they had. They are now using the old Sears "Good, Better, Best" tactic.

Years ago I worked for a dealer that had been a Lincoln/Mercury store and in one of their storage areas I found a really nice heavy duty engine stand with a gear crank on it to rotate the engine. I made a couple of adaptors for the stuff I worked on and I was hooked.

Years later I had my Snap-On guy order me an OTC version. It was very pricey of course but I still thought it was a labor saver.

If you intend on leaving an engine on the stand it's not worth it.

If you intend to use it for assembly then it is really worth it.

Harbor Freight's "Best" is a copy of the OTC engine stand and I think it is actually better. It has more features and seems to be a little heavier duty.

With my coupon it was lots cheaper too. They call it a 1,500 lbs stand but the gear drive is really very nice. When you see three grease fittings on the head and you pull the cover off and see the gears, you know you got a good piece.

Next I am going to put together a dedicated mounting plate to mount the engine on the distributor side cross ways.

I have worked on inline engines lengthwise and I didn't care for that. A little unstable.

• Like 1