Mopar 802 Radio “Issue”

I bought a Mopar 802 last year and had it rebuilt by a guy in Canada that specializes in rebuilding/upgrading vintage car radios. It’s got all the bells and whistles while looking like a new 802. Here’s the “issue” I ran into: while the Mopar Accessories catalog for the B-1 trucks lists an install kit that accommodates both the 602 and 802 models, I can tell you that the 802 is at least an inch too long to fit between the firewall and dash on my ‘49. Now, I’ll be the first to admit it was foolish not to check that critical dimension, but since I measured the opening on the dash and it was a perfect fit, and the catalog says it was an option, I just assumed it would. The guy who rebuilt it said every 802 he’s had were the same size. Fortunately, the new electronics don’t take up much room in the case, so I’ll shorten up the case a couple inches on the back side and it’ll be ok. I’m guessing the 602 is probably shorter due to a smaller chassis, but I don’t know. Seems unlikely Mopar would have built a separate chassis for the trucks, since so few radios were ever sold for them. Anyone else experience anything like this, or had an 802 that did fit? I’m curious. I posted this for those who are thinking of heading down this path. Yes, it was extremely expensive to convert.

front side cover angle on.jpeg

angle up left side.jpeg

Cover pict back coverf on .jpeg

cover picture.jpeg

If the 802 was an accessory for your specific car, one would reasonably assume that it fits without issues. I suspect that you've definitely attempted to mount it correctly, etc.?

Also, what do you mean by bells and whistles, how does it work? Is it an FM radio now? Do the dial buttons still work?

I’ve been really busy lately, but was just out in the shop after posting the previous message. The more I thought about it, the more I was thinking you’re right. It must fit if it was listed as an option. I was looking at the card board covering on the cab side of the firewall in that area. It looks like it’s scored for removal. That’s suspicious. And, I can see a bit of a bump-out on the other side of the firewall that might be there to accommodate the radio. It isn’t much, though. There’s some wires going through a hole at the top of that area that the previous owner put in. I’ll have to move that, too. Additionally, there’s all the cables and wires associated with the heater/vent controls just below it. I’ve gotta pull all that stuff out and see if it will wiggle in. It’s going to be tight, at best. I attached a pic of the firewall with the area circled in red.

IMG_9437.jpeg

I have an 802 in my 50, B2B. It is a tight fit, but it does fit. I installed the radio before I put my soundproofing on the firewall. I had to cut a notch in my firewall cove. 

10 minutes ago, Ivan_B said:

Is the screw on the rear going into the firewall? Usually there should be a bracket on it, that bolts to the dash support.

You are correct.

The radio on these old trucks do  need support. There is a short bracket that goes to the back of the radio and is hung on the cowl or body ...... Because the radio is so big, the support is really short. The radio is supported both front and rear.

I had a radio and chose to pass it on to someone that would use it. I went 12 volt and will not pay to have the radio converted ..... It is too large and takes up valuable real estate under the dash ..... I'm only suggesting that the radio will fit, It is large and takes up more space then you think under the dash ..... I sold my radio as is because I did not want to install it.

Same time I'm 12 volt and plan to install a radio in the center console .... just did not want the stock original radio hogging all the real estate under the dash.

Coverpictbackcoverfon.jpeg.9aed91374ba7b576d79343ebe1ed7622.jpeg.ad33809f76c246f9e41380c4f3838916.jpeg

After removing the insulation on the firewall, behind it was an area of the firewall that formed an indentation, as well. Still, it’s going to be really tight. I found a picture of the installation kit in the Mopar accessories catalog for the B-1 trucks (pic below). On the left side of the pic is a depiction of the dash, with the radio on the left of it. On the right, is the installation kit. The kit has a short bracket that connects the back of the radio to the firewall. I can probably guess at its dimensions, or at least get it close enough to make it work.

IMG_2024-03-29-124953.jpeg