1950 B2B seats

Nick

Well I held off replying, hoping someone else had better options for you.

Here is what I have done .... I used the original base flipped upside down & backwards ..... then I welded some braces to it for the seats to bolt to.

IMG_20230918_161533.jpg.52ab2b3aefe4549e5458858dd1e1e7af.jpg

The reason for turning it upside down has 2 answers.

1, There is a big wide lip on the top, and it sits really flat on the floor. .... Instead of welding it to the floor I bolted it with 12 grade 5 bolts, so it is removable.

2, I flipped it from left to right because the base is angled to give you the reclining feeling. ..... Now it slopes forward.

IMG_20230915_152823.jpg.bce830ef66368275fc3126fcec7143f5.jpg

I used early 1990's chebby Silverado bucket seats ..... they are very comfortable to me and what I had available for a real cheap price.

The seat perches are also sloped. ..... I'm 5'6" tall and my legs were uncomfortable reaching the pedals with the front of the seat so high off the floor.

Why I played with the base to get the angle right .... With the base sloping downwards and the perches sloping backwards .... it has a comfortable recline and just right.

For me.

What I like about the seats

They are comfortable.

They are very popular .... The backs have a zipper so you can unzip and replace the covering .... you remove the back from the base and you can easily replace at home without sewing. I have seen seat covers go from $35 for basic, to $300 for full leather.

I will build a custom made console for between the seats .... I am 12 volt and will install a stereo in it, need drink holders for the top.

Because I took extra care bolting the base to the floor, I can mount lap belts to the base.

Because I used 12 grade 5 bolts to bolt the base to the floor ..... the seats & base can be removed and have a flat floor to lay on if I need to work under the dash.

There is a convenient shelf under each seat, drivers side I will mount a fire extinguisher, passenger side will be a first aid kit. .... somewhere a flashlight.

Under the seat there is a lot of room for storage and all contained by the base so no rolling around getting under your feet.

What I'm not happy with.

Bottom of the seat sticks out a bit .... limits the space between the A pillar when getting in ..... fine once you are in.

Newer Silverado seats have 3 point seat belts built into them ..... just a better deal then old seats without. I expect to install newer seats at some future date. Just for the 3 point seat belt.

I have heard of many installing the rear bench seats out of mini vans .... If a bench seat is what you want. ..... Depends what you are after.

You can make just about any seat work for you, just is some thinking and fabrication that goes with it.

For TODD I used 2001 Silverado seats, built in seat belts and power seats.  BUT, since TODD isn't a stock cab, there is no seat pan.  The floor is at stock level still tho, so I welded 2x2 steel to the cab frame and floor and bolted driectly to that.   No, idea how they'd fit in an non extended cab.

275298832_5521392867877692_2622451631155970521_n.jpg

@ggdad1951I'm curious, do your inside arm rest fold up? ..... I'm guessing newer seats do?

One thing I do not like on my older seats, the one arm rest on the drivers seat is locked into place and does not fold up.

Kind of a pita if you want to reach over and roll down the passenger window or dig in the glove box etc ....

I thought about trying the seats out of my wife Dodge caravan .... I think I would be searching for a new wife though if I could still walk afterwards. 

23 hours ago, Los_Control said:

@ggdad1951I'm curious, do your inside arm rest fold up? ..... I'm guessing newer seats do?

One thing I do not like on my older seats, the one arm rest on the drivers seat is locked into place and does not fold up.

Kind of a pita if you want to reach over and roll down the passenger window or dig in the glove box etc ....

I thought about trying the seats out of my wife Dodge caravan .... I think I would be searching for a new wife though if I could still walk afterwards. 

I believe the arm rests both will fold up.  If they don't, I'll let you know tomorrow.

7 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I believe the arm rests both will fold up.  If they don't, I'll let you know tomorrow.

I would appreciate the feedback. ..... I'm still uncertain about my Silverado seats. They are just a little bit tight at the knees when climbing in.

Not terrible, but you do notice it. ..... Once you get in and sit down, just like sitting in a over stuffed recliner with plenty of leg room for me.

IMG_20231220_162217.jpg.df7b4979bcba8234cdedf6827b5ccbf2.jpg

The base of the seat front to back is 22.5"

The older Dodge caravan the base is 18.5"  .... Just leaves a little more room when getting in and out. ..... Also not quite as wide.

IMG_20231220_162254.jpg.a70e2895ac9147faad53c06e814d2417.jpg

I have to admit we drove this caravan from Seattle > Texas 4 times and many other shorter trips .... never complained about seat comfort .... And they do have a smaller foot print then the Silverado, and the inside arm rest do lift up .... 1990's Silverado the arm rest on driver/passenger do not lift up .... The caravan seats also sit higher off the floor then the Silverado.

Just suggesting the Caravan seats would eliminate the need of the base of the original pilothouse seats for proper height. ..... The caravan seat as in photo sits 1" lower then the above silverado seats with the original base ..... Just saying, the caravan seats may be a better fit all the way around