Working the B3GA

jsd245

So I’ve had my first real load in Big Ben. There was some discussion how it would handle a load in threads past when discussing tire size. Recall I had wheels made to put 9r22.5 radials on it. They are about the same diameter as the 8.25 20s that were on it. But about 30 pounds more of unsprung weight.  In this picture I estimate about 2.5 cords of Red oak, some split and semi seasoned, but underneath a lot of rounds that were still wet, so I think probably 4-5,000 pounds of weight. The overloads were pretty well flexed. Did a couple, loads like this and put about 100 miles on him in the process. 

In short Big Ben handled it with no sweat. Pulling up hills honestly to me was not much different than empty. I did use the two speed rear more than I would driving empty, and did start out in first. Usually driving empty my shift sequence is 2L-3L-3H- 4H. Sometime 3H -4L -4H on a hill.  With the load I started out in 1L then used pretty  much used all 6 other gears and probably did downshift the rear more than normal. Without the two speed rear it wouldn’t be great driving a load like this. 

The dump didn’t even seem like it knew a load was on there. I don’t know how much this piston could push but I imagine way more that the truck could safely carry. 

what was hugely different was the ride quality- so much smoother with a load. 

these trucks can still work. 

IMG_2833.jpeg

IMG_2832.jpeg

Edited by jsd245
Grammar
  • Like 4

When hauling heavy loads it's great to be able to get full use out of a 2 speed rear axle ....

Upshift/down shift and split shifting.

Makes it fun to drive the old trucks.

sweet.  glad you got to use it.  my 1.5-ton handles the same way, rides better with a good load on, and you'd almost not notice that there is a load on.  i couldn't really use it without the 2-speed; not enough horsepower, and too low gears for a "single".

oh yeah, your truck will easily deal with 5,000 to 6,000 lb loads, too.  i've had 4 tons on mine, which i noticed, but the truck handled it just fine.  i wouldn't really want to carry 4 tons a long distance, but moving ice from the lake to the ice house, about 1.5 miles on a 25mph road was easy.

Edited by wallytoo

• 8 months later...
Posted (edited)

So Big Ben had the biggest load yet on it. I found a marketplace deal on cut granite cobbles I couldn't pass up. Two skids each load in big Ben, 700 pieces per skid, the granite calculator I found told me this was a 8500# load! 😬

while it did not seem dramatic flexing the springs- the overloads were still arced-  I knew it was there. Much more noticeable than when moving firewood. For the first time ever I absolutely first gear to get moving on a couple inclines. I think I would have smoked the clutch without 1 low. . I had to move each load about 25 miles, so I put about 200 miles on Big Ben today move of about 27,000 pounds of stone. He struggled on a couple of the long pulls uphill but performed admirably.  Unfortunately  a couple of the pallets didn't make it home intact. 

IMG_0594.jpeg

Edited by jsd245
Grammar
  • Like 2

And one more thing- when I refilled with gas my mileage vs fuel used tells me I averaged about 8.5 mpg which was quite surprising to me. I figured much worse hauling a load like that. 

• Like 1