Vapor lock

Doug&Deb

For the first time in the 10 years I’ve owned my 52 Coronet I had to be towed home. I was half way home from work when it died. Fortunately I was on a back road and a local gentleman pulled me into a parking area. The car would only run as long as carb cleaner was being sprayed. Of course it didn’t help that my electric fuel pump isn’t working at the moment. The best part is after getting it home we had some work to do setting up for a benefit event so it sat for about 3 hours. Afterwords it started right up! Now the investigation begins. 

Does the electric fuel pump have an auto reset circuit breaker in the power supply to the pump?

Circuit overheated, opened breaker, reset after cool down?

Also some electric fuel pumps just quit working after they get hot even after of years of previous use with no problems,  work again after cool down time._ 2nd. possibility

Just some ideas.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
add idea

The pump is wired with an inline fuse and it failed. It’s been in the car since I got it 10 years ago so I don’t know if there’s a problem or time just caught up with it. The electric pump isn’t my primary pump but it would have gotten me home. I’m trying to figure out how it vapor locked so bad. My first thought was a stuck heat riser but it’s working fine. I put some aluminum foil on the fuel line and a few wooden clothes pins. I’m going to stick with some local trips until I figure it out. I’ve been fighting this car since I swapped engines and I’m about ready to throw in the towel. 

Lots of talk about vapor lock this summer; the heat, coupled possibly with whatever changes might be common in gasoline mixtures? I gave up and just leave my electric pump switched on for the season.