'53 B4B Charging Issues

Hey, folks. Been a while since I've been on here. Bought a restored '53 B4B some 4 1/2 years ago and sold the '53 B3B last year. Having some issues with the B4B's charging system. Been through three regulators already and want to solve this issue.

Frequently the regulator's battery cutout contacts fail to complete a circuit after starting. Revving the engine or tapping the regulator cover remedies this most of the time. Other times, the contacts fail the open after I shut off the engine, causing the ammeter to peg over to "discharge" and draining the battery completely. When I examine the regulators (all three and them) the battery cutout contact points look like they got hot. I don't know if it's the circuit breaker coil not operating properly or something else. The fact that I have had this problem now with three different regulators leads me to think that it's probably something else. The battery seems O.K. (checked it @ 6.4 volts today), though it probably is starting to wear being discharged completely so many times now. Generator puts out well over 7 volts (can't remember exactly how much the last time I checked). I see in the shop manual that you can service regulators by filing and adjusting contacts, among other things. Just wanted to know if any of you think I'm missing something here. Thanks.

Ken Butti

1953 Dodge B4B

Edited by Buttiman53

Possibly not the issue, BUT I ended up replacing the regulators in my cars/trucks with NOS units or vintage rebuilds.  I was going through parts store regulators.  No problems since then…

Also, how is the wiring?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, found out the battery was on its way out, also. Just installed a NOS regulator and a new battery tonight, and it’s charging like it’s suppose to. All my old regulators show obvious signs of the battery contacts frying. I’m guessing a defective battery would possibly cause that. Anyway, I’ll keep my eyes on it to see if it continues to work properly. Now, to track down the mysterious intermittent, scraping metal clutch noise that just developed…………

I just put that 6 volt positive ground alternator on my truck when I had an on charging issue, which was probably the regulator. While I am trying to keep the truck most original, convenience won out. 

10 hours ago, jsd245 said:

I just put that 6 volt positive ground alternator on my truck when I had an on charging issue, which was probably the regulator. While I am trying to keep the truck most original, convenience won out. 

some things can't stay "original" and need to be replaced.  VRs and batteries are somewhat visual on these boys, but do need to be replaced now and again.  I had an NOS VR and it quit working so I gave in and bought a replacement from NAPA.   Unless judged it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 5:55 PM, jsd245 said:

Would that be the pedal shaft rubbing the floor board? That's where mine was coming from. A spray of silly cone fixed that. I was thinking of gluing onto the floor board opening some thick felt.