Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Choke, choke

DonaldSmith

Chasing my tail for weeks, trying to track down the elusive lup-lup, as in the "Its not fun any more" thread. 

Myswell (Might as well) check the Sisson Choke adjustment.  Seems simple enough.   When you don't know what to do, do something. 

Air cleaner removed, of course.

The choke has a hole in the end of the shaft that is visible in a slot, when the arm is where it is supposed to be.  I had fabricated a pin to fit the hole. 

I disconnected the choker rod from the fitting at the choke plate, goosed the throttle linkage a bit and fully opened the choke plate.   

With the pin in the hole of the choke shaft, I found that the choke rod overshot the hole in the choke plate fitting by maybe 3/16 of an inch? 

"Warning, warning, Will Robinson!" 

I loosened the bolt at the Sisson arm and rotated the arm until the end of the rod fit the hole of the fitting.   

Started the car -SWEET!

Did I forget to pull the pin out of the choke shaft?  Did I forget to wire the choker rod to the fitting? Of course. 

Pulled the pin and wired the the rod.  STILL SWEET! 

I could dance for joy, but for the weeks of frustration.  Thank you guys, for all your tips.  I have a tip, "Check your choke." 

• Like 2

Zakly. 

Now, did it help to put the points back in ?  I may never know, but it's cheaper and quicker to buy points and condenser, vs the Pertronix igniter, from all I have heard in my last thread.  

Oh, the vacuum gage at idle has gone from 15 to 19.  No valve bounce.  Double sweet. 

I might just drive this beast to a DeSoto Convention.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DonaldSmith said:

I might just drive this beast to a DeSoto Convention.

@DonaldSmith I really hope you do drive your DeSoto to this year's NDC Convention in Canada!  I am planning on going to this year's Convention in Chatham.  I have my hotel reservations and am planning out my route to get there.  I will likely stop half-way-ish in Niagara falls on Monday, and then drive the rest of the way Tuesday so I am ready to go first thing on the Welcome Wednesday!  I joined the P15-D24 forum in January of this year, but I've enjoyed reading through many of the threads you have made over the years and am really looking forward to seeing your 1947 DeSoto Suburban at the Convention!  Unfortunately, my '48 DeSoto is nowhere near ready, so I'll be driving a modern car.

I did write an article in the 2022 November-December DeSoto Adventures Magazine about my 1948 DeSoto, if that helps connect the dots to who I am!

Carl

I read your DeSoto article, Carl N.  Good story.  (With this font, I thought your handle was "car", letter "i"  letter "n", CAR - IN? Who's to say?)

(Guys, he's a 22-year-old.  Fresh blood.) 

(Carl, you'll love this forum. Welcome.  See you at the Convention.  Work on your Canadian - centre, cheque, enquiry, defence;  prOgress of the prOcess, ...)   

• Like 1