door hinge adjustment?

gtech636p

I hung a door on a 48 B1B cab today.  While I didn't expect perfection, I can't figure out how to fix what did show up.  Everywhere EXCEPT the bottom latch side fits in the opening.  The bottom latch part of the door hits the cab sheet metal by 1/16" or so.  

I have read a copy of the old manual that says to put wood here or there and push.  The only issue I have is that I can't figure out how to get to the hinges in a straightforward way.  Currently I'm thinking to open the door half way and hit the lower hinge with a sledge hammer somehow?  The hinge only needs to move about 1/16", but how do you get to that more "professionally".  I'd like to think you could put a cheater bar across the hinge plate and pry away but couldn't figure it out while I was looking at the hinge.

Anyone have a better method?? I'm all ears, but the truck is 7 hours and three weekends away from me right now.

Be care where you whack...it's all sheet metal mounted and you can easily just flex the sheetmetal and not the hinge.  You can take the lower hinge (cab side) off and bend in a vice or other method.

As ggdad said bend them in a vise or other method. Not sure how the '48 mounts but on my '41 I removed the hinge from the cab and layed  it on a steel plate on the floor and wacked it a couple of times with a small sledge hammer. Took a few tries to get it right but doors fit mint now. 

• 1 month later...

Got it!  Removed door, put a 2x4 on the edge and heated the middle of the hinge up for about a minute.  Hit the hinge a few times with the sledge and changed the angle a good bit.  The door opening needed a little encouragement to be square as well, and the floor riser between the running board and floor was poking out about 1/8" causing binding when closing.  When all was addressed the door shut nice and smoothly. 

The gap might not be perfect, but I'm not claiming a professional restoration either.