Fender welt question

Cudan

Hi,

how high is the fender welt between the outer front fender and the A pillar, there was not a fender welt on it and now rebuilding I don’t know how high the fender welt has to be.

Till the end of the fender or higher? 
Perhaps someone has a clear pic, I could not find it a the net.

thanks Dan

Edited by Cudan

The fender welt has a rib on the top and then a flat section that goes bewteen the fender and the body.  Just the rounded portion is what is showing above the fender.

I would suggest that you use the plastic black fenderwelting. i have this on my 39 desoto for the past 26 years. i like the plastic becasue it acts as an antisqueek material between all metal surfaces. does not soak in water like the original material and if you accidentially get polish on the plastic it wipes off and doe snt leae any polish compond on the welting.

Some people put the chrome strip welting but make sure your car had that option.

The fender welt was never painted the color of the car. i do know that on the desoto Airflows they did dye the welting to be the color of the car but the others did not.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks Rich, I already have the fenderwelting but I need to know when a assemble it how high goes the fenderwelting, only as high as the the front fender or higher. Perhaps a pic how far the fenderwelting is up.

thanks Dan

the beading of the welting is the only part that is visible no part of the mounting flange of the welting should be visible.

So loosen the bolts on the rear fender youhave to cust v slots in the mounting flange at each mounting bolt. This allows the welting to slid down and fit flush with the fender and only beading will be resting on the top of the fender work slowly to each mounting bolt and then tight the fender bolts.

It is so simple.

Rich

desoto1939@aol.com.

2 hours ago, Cannuck said:

When I took my 48 front fenders off there was no welt . There was on the rear fenders.

On my 39 Desoto there is fender welting on both front and rear fenders.  Each car is different as the model year changed.

Check you parts manual to see if welting was used on each fender.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com