Gunmetal Gray

Royal Duke

Guys, I need to touch up several spots on my 1941 Chrysler Royal. The paint code is 813 (Gunmetal Gray).  My question is whether the Gunmetal Gray used on the newer Chrysler cars is the same as that used on my oldie but goodie.  I know, I could buy cans of paint and proceed to find out, but I would like to avoid spending money needlessly and having multiple colors on the car. Any guidance would be appreciated.  Duke  

the formulas, resins and other solvents have evolved over the years and most all newer components are BC/CC where all gloss is the clear coating....anyone that tells you they can match it is jerking your chain...anyone that tells you we can come real close for touching up you can believe....and do try this touch up in an inconspicuous spot first,.,..

never used them but WWW.autocolorlibrary has the color listed. You can search for the year of car you have and they will show a color chip. Not sure how close they can come to the actual color of your car. Might be worth a try. Another thing you could do is go to an auto paint store or a NAPA that does auto paint. They have fleet color chips that come in all shades of colors grays included. they can give you a set of color chips in advancing shades of gray. one may come close. Hope that helps. Don't do base coat/clear coat. I think I would do a straight enamel unless you're painting the whole car.

I color match old paint with modern paints on the regular. Pretty simple if you are talking about brush touching chips. Take your car to a paint supply shop and ask them to make you up a small amount of single stage and get a little hardener with it. Take a striping brush and fill the chips with a drop of catalyzed paint. If you are shooting whole panels, you'll be doing some blending to get it right. Some of the paint jobbers have cameras that will get you a blendable match. Hard to beat a good eye of someone that knows how to match paint though.

Royal Duke,

My first 1948 Chrysler Royal was Gun Metal Gray. I bought it in 1974. I also owned a 1967 Bonneville Convertable. Back then you could still go to the Pontiac dealership and buy a rattle can of Champane Gold for the Pontiac. By 1974 there was no way to buy rattle cans of Gun Metal Gray. Allbizz is correct take your cowl cover off your car and have it scanned at the Auto Body Paint Supply House. They will mix up touch up cans or rattle cans as a perfect match, I did for my Heather Green 1948 Chrysler recently.

A perfect Match about $20 dollars a can. Not bad for today's prices.

Tom

Thank you Tom.  I will find a local auto body paint supply house and would like to drive my car there so they can scan the paint directly from various areas of the car.  The firewall is probably the best spot of all.  Duke