I'm ready to buy disc brakes and master cylinder.

48ply1stcar

I would figure if your installing a scarebird disk brake kit that you would also be replacing the master cylinder and all the plumbing to make the brakes it effective especially for a disk brake conversion.  Especially if its  a non-power disk brake conversion.

So... the removal of the residual valve on the original MC would be irrelevant.

When installing my scarebird front disk brake kit, I did my own research and went with a 70's Mustang master cylinder.  Must be one that was for a non-power, front disk, rear drum setup.

6 hours ago, 48jumpdoors said:

thanks so much Adam H P15, did you have to rebuild/replace your stock MC? if so did you do it from the top (removing the floor boards) or come at it from underneath? I have heard from here that going in from the top is easier. 

That's what she said!.........        I'm sorry I just had to do that ?

8 hours ago, 48jumpdoors said:

thanks so much Adam H P15, did you have to rebuild/replace your stock MC? if so did you do it from the top (removing the floor boards) or come at it from underneath? I have heard from here that going in from the top is easier. 

I did it from under the vehicle.  Took the rubber check valve out of the metal holder and reinstalled the metal piece.  Took about 20 minutes including bleeding the master.  

35 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

I did it from under the vehicle.  Took the rubber check valve out of the metal holder and reinstalled the metal piece.  Took about 20 minutes including bleeding the master.  

3 hours ago, 40desoto said:

That's what she said!.........        I'm sorry I just had to do that ?

ha! I should have caught that after 20 years in the Marine Corps you would think that I would have, currently my MC is froze, as the car has been sitting for about 20 years without movement. Have you had to remove an MC? if so from the top or bottom. I have checked my manual and it does not cover removal of the MC. I dont have the car currently at the house or I would go look and figure it out. 

40desoto, which year of 70's Mustang master cylinder did you install?  Do you have the make and model of your mc that works with manual (not power) front discs and drum rears?

I'm using a 67 Mustang stock master cylinder (designed for power brakes) which works great on the new front discs, but its not enough for the rears.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:26 AM, Adam H P15 D30 said:

If you're removing the MC, remove the floor and take it out from the top.

Thanks for the info, I just went up the mountain today and a buddy and I loaded the Ol'  girl on a tilt bed and brought her down to the house so I can get started. I love the looks of these four doors, the only time I have seen them in the movies they were taxi's or staff cars in a military movie.