head gasket info

Veemoney

I noticed the replacement gasket from Fel-Pro is larger than the existing gasket on my 230 engine. You can see this in the picture where I have the new gasket on top of the old gasket and head. The area by the exhaust is better covered by the old gasket and I was hoping someone may know the brand/number of the older gasket that best fits my head. Did not want to give up any compression

SAM_0079.JPG

I understand what you are getting at but in practical terms it will not make much difference.  If you want more compression , use a head from a 217.  Smaller chamber because of the shorter stroke. 

On 12/29/2016 at 4:28 PM, Jerry Roberts said:

Sometimes the old head gaskets are marked with their brand and perhaps a number . 

And this makes things even more confusing.

Mopar numbers

602539: 33-34 201 engine.

620032, 637175, 1064733: engines without internal coolant bypass only.

1117542, 1326318, 1401345; universal, fits engines with or without internal bypass.

McCord numbers

Mc6290: 33-34 201 engine.

Mc6213: 35-48 engines, gaskets with this number may have or not have the hole for internal bypass, so need to watch.

Victor numbers

V-906: 35-48 engines, special design for aluminum head.

V-924: 35-48 engines; gaskets with this number may have or not have the hole for internal bypass, so need to watch.

V-1059C: Universal gasket, modern. May be of Fel-Pro origin. 

Fitzgerald

0550C: universal gasket.

Fel-Pro

7564C: universal gasket, modern.

Edited by sser2

Thanks to all for the responses so far. SSER2 you are correct the new gasket is the Fel-Pro 7564C (universal). My head is casting 1676337-1 which I understood was a decent compression head from 57-59 based on other posts and I had shaved it .070 back a few years ago. With the old gasket it was running 135 psi which is lower than I would have thought. Thanks for the info now I have some numbers to chase down.

Chasing down the numbers provided above helped me to locate the head gasket number with the smaller configuration that better fit my head. For those interested you can find the gasket using:

• Fel-Pro 7547
  • Fel-Pro 7547C
  • Victor 1066S
  • Wizard R6057

These numbers are applicable for 1949-59 motors based on what I found

• Like 1