Engine's Origin

DrDoctor

As I’ve been reading many of the forum topics lately with great interest, I’ve had many of my questions addressed, and those that haven’t, have been resolved by other’s direct input to my questions, which I’m grateful to those who’ve responded to my (hopefully not inane) questions.

With that having been said, I have another question: I’ve always tho’t that the engine in this car (’46 Plymouth Special DeLuxe Club Coupe) isn’t the original. The first tip-off was that it’s painted blue rather than silver. But, the most convincing factor in my conclusion is that, upon reading the service manual, and the owner’s manual, is the presence of a dashpot (for what I can only assume is for the fluid-drive setup, and available on the Dodge and/or DeSoto, but not the Plymouth)with linkage connected to carburetor that supposedly keeps the engine from stalling during deceleration. Should that be the case, would the engine still be a 218ci, or would it be some other size?

Many thanks in advance to those who provide input. Thx.

Whats the engine number?....a 1946-48 Plymouth engine number should start with P15............., Dodge should be D24, Desoto SP......at least that's what I understand should be for the 1946-48 yrs.........other, more knowledgable  souls will chime in..........andyd 

Andydodge gives good advice.  What is the engineering code stamped on the block just above the generator?  A 46 Plymouth should be P15 C or P15S.     That does not preclude replacement engines which may be, in all practical purposes correct.  If your engine has accessories which suggest it started life in a different car, then it is something which is easily dealt with.  Given that these cars are almost 70 years old, it is hard to find one which still uses all its original equipment.

You can also look on the block to the front of the distributor for a rivited on brass tag.  Many rebuilders utilized a tag to identify their work, and what they changed during the overhaul.  Jasper as I recall used dark green paint, I do recall seeing several cars over the years with dark blue paint but I can't recall the name of the company.  Used to be that Sears and Roebuck provided rebuilds, perhaps it was them.

Edited by greg g