I have been unfaithful

knuckleharley

I have been missing from this board for a long time. Mostly related to health reasons and the associated doctors and hospital bills.

BUT....,I got better and was going to get back to work on my D-22 and P-15 coupes,but got seduced by a non-Mopar coupe that I have literally been wanting for decades. Seemed like every time I would find one it would be a stripped out parts car,have modern running gear,or be a restored show car. None of which interested me at all.

On the rare occasions where I would find one with the orginal flat 6 in it that was semi-complete and had a clear title,it would be on the left coast,or the seller wanted stupid money for it.

Then I discovered this one about 250 miles away by accident. A friend that lives in Mn stalks Craigs List all over the country,and he knew I wanted one of these so he sent me the URL. 

Two days later I am driving it around a lot with a gallon gas can in the passenger floor. The car had been sitting in a barn for over 25 years before the guy selling it bought it. He bought it to sell,so he pretty much half-assed what he need to half-ass to get it running and stopping,and put it up for sale. For about twice what it was actually worth.

Surprising myself and everybody that knows me,I told  him the price was too high,and told him I would give him 1500 less and not a penny more because of all the work and parts it needed just to make it safe to drive. I did this even though I had the full price in my pocket. And he accepted,so I drove it up on my trailer and bought it home.

Got it for only about a thousand more than it was really worth. An excellent buy for me.

BUT....,it was exactly what I had been wanting for a couple of decades,it sorta ran and sorta drived,and it had a matching numbers clear title and it was THERE.

So I brought it back home and have been spending the last 4 or 5 months throwing 100 dollar bills at it. About all I need to do now to make it qualify as a "mostly every day driver car" is to fix an exhaust leak,change the seat,and adjust the free play out of the steering wheel.

There ain't no way to sugar coat it,so here goes. IT'S A FORD!

4zOlIC.jpg

BJgJrm.jpg

In my defense,it is a flat 6 and going to stay that way as long as I live.

Which brings me to one reason I am back tonight. I need to contact George Ashe to see if I can get him to build a 2x1 intake and split exhaust for the flat 6 Ford. And maybe for my D-22 while he is at it. Can someone give me his number? I lost it when my last computer died.

BTW,I am now driving the hell out of this thing practically every day it isn't raining,and loving it to death. On the days it's raining I drive my new junk that I don't care about.

• Like 2

(814) 354-2621

BTW..... Love it. :)

Thanks! I can't honestly remember the last time I was so happy with a car I bought. I'm out driving down the 4 lane almost every day,passing anybody driving slower than 60,and loving every minute. Driving is fun again!

That doesn't mean I won't be jumping on my 42 Dodge coupe this winter,though. In fact,I am going to an auction this coming weekend for a 48 Dodge coupe body shell that seems to be rust free that has bumpers that appear to not be pitted.  I should be able to buy the whole thing cheaper than the patch panels my 42 needs,and have the nice bumpers for a bonus.

She's a dandy!

Thank you! I am very happy with it.

One of my first cars in the 50s was a 1951 Ford two door and would love another before the winter of my life is oveBetter be looking now. They sure ain't getting any cheaper. Even the 4drs are getting pricey.

Congratulations on finding the shoebox. Should be a fun car for you.

Wayne

Thanks. I am already having fun with it almost every day. It might not be pretty yet,but it sure does run,ride,and drive good.

Look, I own a Jap bike built in Kentucky, and a Jap truck built in Mexico.

If you can overlook that crap I can over look a Shoebox. ;)

My first car (that I could actually make driveable) was a '66 Ford Coupe.

It had lots of problems, but fortunately the suspension never collapsed until after I sold it.   :eek:

My model had very little meat around the ball joint rivets, and basically the ball joint just falls off the lower arm.

Look, I own a Jap bike built in Kentucky, and a Jap truck built in Mexico.

If you can overlook that crap I can over look a Shoebox. ;)

I used to own a Chevy that was built in Mexico,and a VW that was built in the US.

One of the first cars I owned at age 14 was a shoebox field racer.

Remember when these things were cheap and plentiful? I bought a running and driving complete 51 Victoria for 75 bucks in 1967,but when I went to VN in 68 I gave it away to a guy that said he wanted to fix it up for his teen age son to drive. My father hated old cars and would have sold it to the crusher like he did my 40 Ford and my 57 Ford if I had left it with him,and I had nowhere else to leave it.

I paid a bit more than 75 bucks for the 51 coupe I just bought.

I just paid 450 bucks for a 3:31 geard Fordomatic rear end to put under it. I now have every part I need to put an original 51 Ford Fordomatic transmission in it,including the steering column and the brake pedal assembly!  Ford advertised the FOM was available with the 6 until mid year,but nobody seems to know if they ever actually sold one. Not even the museum in Dearborn. By midyear they quit advertising it with the 6.

The VA keeps talking about wanting to amputate my left leg,and one day they might end up winning that argument,so i figured it was better to have the stuff and not need it,than not be able to find it and unable to drive my car in the future.

Right now it has the 3-speed + OD trans,but I have no idea if the OD works or not because there are no wires going to it.

I did pick up 2 spare OD transmissions when I found the stuck 51 FOM transmission though,so I guess one day I will figure it out and have a couple of OD transmissions for sale.

Edited by knuckleharley