49 Wayfarer Convertible Dual Exhaust

Branded

Whats the best route to run duals using headers on the flathead six. Keep in mind the convertible has an X member to deal with.

Even in the sedan this is not easy. Maybe closely paralleling the pipes in the original pass an exiting side by each would be the easiest. Or you can always put side pipes on!

Putting "twice pipes" on any inline engine can be very tricky, especially a chassis that has an X member within the frame. i would suggest that you talk to an experienced custom exhaust man, he would have the knowledge and equipment to make custom bends in the head pipes which would place the mufflers as far back away from the passenger area as possible..  Bill

Not a convertible but this is how my exhaust system is routed.

MVC-007F.jpg

Having an X member wont allow the exhaust to be routed like pictured. Im not wanting to start cutting on the X member on the car.

Check out the following thread, which is unrelated to the dual exhaust question, but has 2 posts with pics of dual exhaust with an "X" member. Post #55 of the original posters car of that thread & post #102 of my '38. Hope these help.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/33585-new-ways-to-lower-the-rear-end/

Thanks for the respnses, I think I'll stay with the single exhaust.

If your engine is a stock six cylinder, there is absolutely no benifit in adding dual exhausts, headers or spit manifold to the engine.. In all probability fuel mileage will go down because of the "look at me factor", foot stuck in the carb to enhanse the noise factor.

An emprovement in performance can be gained by going to a larger header and tail pipes running through a larger chambered muffler.. The turbo type mufflers work well as does a truck muffler..

There has been a trend with modern cars since about '95 to use larger exhaust pipes to reduce back pressure. I have a '36 Ford V8 which I have had for over sixty-two years. The engine is a well built '46-48 59AB.. I got tired of the noise that the steel pack mufflers made so I had two inch pipes made from the engine to the rear bumper. Used stock type mufflers, the lack of noise is golden.. Did not notice any loss of power.

The larger pipes tend to emit more noise, on an idle you can hear the cam over-lap, on acceleration the noise level is minimal.. Bill