Transmission output shaft nut- Removal

Darbone85737
Go to solution Solved by Darbone85737,

I had previously asked about a part number for the shaft seal and you all came to my aid. Thanks I have the seal.

Now-  I'm unable to get the nut off the transmission output shaft to get to the seal..  I'm using my air impact tool with a 11/4 socket and it doesn't budge.  I soaked it in Blaster and tried heating with a propane torch. Nothing. 

Any hints or tricks as to how to get the nut off would be appreciated. Once again thanks for the help. I'm hoping someday I'll learn enough to help someone else out 

Larry

If you are using a air impact wrench, did you try increasing the psi to the wrench? I had a problem once trying to  remove a head bolt and tried to tighten the bolt then remove it. For some reason this allowed me to remove the bolt. If the transmission is still in the car, you would want to have   reverse or first gear selected.

Sorry, but have to ask, what is an 11/4 socket?

Does whatever socket your using fit tightly on the nut?

Is the Impact wrench new or old?

Try tightening the nut first (as per suntennis) which will help break the old rust etc. loose and put some oil into the impact wrench before use.

Just holding the drive line flange with a rag as tightly as possible should do the job as long as your 1/2" impact is not worn out.

DJ

You will need around 120 psi in air pressure to drive a 1/2" impact at high torque.  Be sure that your compressor has enough capacity with out running low on air pressure.  My compressor does not have enough capacity to run mine for more than one wheel before it has to build back up.  Some air tools need and use a lot of cfm to work as designed so it might not be your impact wrench.