ammco brake shoe grinder

DJ194950

Tod,

Are you one of the the bay area people that come up to the sierra's and take the best camp spots in the Clarks Fork camping areas? (near the Dardenelles).

Particularly the Sand Flat campground?

Seems that about 75% of the campers there are from SF area and have been coming there for years. I first went there when a baby and last year with only a few missed years between!

Doug

Actually I've only camped up in that area once and hiked there a few more times. Mostly I go up in winter for skiing the undeveloped backcountry ski trails that surround the Dodge Ridge downhill area.

Clarks Fork is a very nice area. I ought to get up there more often. Maybe a vintage Plymouth/Dodge car camping trip would be fun.

Ya that would be great!

Was going to drive the 50 4 dr. up for last years get-together (niece ,husband and 3 kids w/dog, nephew w/ kid from Las Vegas and one of the friends of kids), ending up hauling some fire wood plus my stuff and decided not to drive the 50. Kind of sucked though.

The kids are not much into old cars but I hoped to give some rides and change their minds.

The niece and nephew also have been coming up for years. Oh ya the niece and family live in S.F. now.

We'll talk more later when it gets warm? 

75 degrees today!

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Tod I am glad James offered that to you as I currently have decided that I'm not going to sell the grinding machine at this time.

Recently got a new operation manuel and dug out some old supposedly 48 Chrysler drums and shoes, 11" and tried the machine per the manuel.

All went well after a bit of head scratching and the shoes matched the drums perfectly. Slight high in the center and about .005" clearance at the leading and trailing edge of the shoes as per the manuel!  Damn did I get lucky or what!

Considering removing my drums and shoes form the 50 4 dr. and arching them as I could not get any Perfect setup even with the Ammco shoe adjustment tool (borrowed at the time). Arched like this with the adjustment tool would be S0 easy I think!

A few friends with contacts in the Model A and old F. clubs are letting it be known about my potential service-we'll see!

Doug

Doug,

Be advised that at some point in the production of the machines, they changes the things and "built-in" the "back off clearance" so you could just set the dial to the size of the drum.  All they did was stick in a single sheet of paper into the manual which of course got lost to many over time.  I have a bad photo copy of it with the model number of the change over.  If you use the "wrong" procedure with a particular machine, you end up with shoes that should fit correct but do not and you will pill your hair out wondering what is going on.  Ask my how I know that!

James

Thks for info James.

Will PM you you my email so that you couldpls. sen me a copy.
Thanks agin

Doug

• 1 month later...

Depending on the price and cost of shipping, I might be willing to purchase such a machine should your option 2 come to pass.

Edit: Just noticed that you are within driving distance so shipping is not an issue.

Tod,

sent a pm to you about possible purchase recently, but have had no response.

If not interested any longer or the price wrong for you, please just let me know either way,

Thanks,

Doug