1949 Chrysler Windsor Highlander

kenbiello

Hello all,

Ken here, brand new member to your group. Not new to Mopar, but BRAND new to the Windsor universe.

Could use some help in the areas of restoration, parts, "what-to-do, what-not-to-do", etc......

I'm basically an "original" kind of guy, so as close to stock as possible is my preferred method. Nothing against modernizing, I just like the cars the way they came. :)

Anyway, if anyone can tell me more about them, I'd appreciate it. Please see attached photos. Car needs a complete interior.

New paint, re-chrome most trim, etc. Runs, drives.

thanks!

ken

post-6742-0-98835700-1393365678_thumb.jpg

post-6742-0-98205400-1393371120_thumb.jpg

post-6742-0-36861500-1393371123_thumb.jpg

post-6742-0-17045100-1393371124_thumb.jpg

Edited by kenbiello
  • Like 1

Thanks!   Just picked it up this past weekend. Learning a lot in the last two days.

I have a lot to do. Forum will not allow pics larger than 1MB, of course, all but what I have posted

came from my cell phone camera, and are larger. LOL

Do you have a Windsor?

The pic of your engine came out great. Looks like you hav a lot of clean-up and painting to do, which I always find to be satisfying work.

I didn't see what year Windsor you have. I have a 1948 D24 two door sedan, "Lumpy Lou".

I'm kind of an original guy, but I like some cosmetic-minor-mods. I guess I try to stick with what would be easy for the next owner to change back to stock, after I'm gone. (won't ever sell Lumpy, she'll go to the kid when I croak. !!) So I have chrome wheels, and dual carbs, things like that...but I would never swap the engine out for a V8, which is a pretty permanent modification.

Good luck and have fun.

ken.

It's a 1949 Windsor Highlander. Needs complete interior. From what I can tell, it's got nearly all of the options you could get in 1949?

Chrome Wind Wing Vents, Chrome Grille Guard, "Highlander" Scotch Plaid Upholstery (all missing)  Radio, Heater, Weather-Proof Ignition, Underhood Light, Windshield Washer, Antennas, Fuel tank locking caps, License trim frame, Mirrors and Spare Tire Valve Extension

Car has 20, 578 ORIGINAL miles. See the pics I just recently attached at the beginning of this thread.

Your engine also has the optional full flow oil filter. I see a plastic filter attached to a rubber line behind the carburetor. I assume this is a fuel filter but the plumbing is strange. The fuel pump is located near the lower radiator hose but the rubber line heads towards the drivers side of the car??? I see you also have the ever wet spark plug covers ;)

Don,

Thanks!   I am picking up a lot so far. Car runs great. Needs all belts, hoses, etc.  Brakes are shot.

So I'm in for some warm weather work soon!

Any thoughts on the interior?  Headliner, door panels, carpet, seats, etc....

where to source?  thank you!

anyone have opinions on this electric, locking gas cap?  if you lost the keys, you're screwed, right?

ken

Edited by kenbiello

I think the Highlander model had some plaid on the interior......at least on the door panels, and not sure 

about the seats.   See if you can find on the internet pictures and/or sales material for the Highlander.

Here's some found on the net............click on the links to view.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZNP8GTefUyeAbrCztziJD8tKZ2k18GcwIotWLXwEwEfc3EYtV

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCF8Qy80Fp7ImxPuZd6qc4tyRDE_zCuiCFpr0-RGbuA9YoiduEsQ

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgcc-l3p-E7Pp2wTFfp8uAe49CDPGpIVHRoZ_C5I83eAh8BD8WVw

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoLVhl_TaxJ94EcdiZ_b7aIrjEJXNhtMjXd2wpIlv7BJfGz5jPtQ

Edited by BobT-47P15

I can see a wire at the top of the cap.  a portion of it bare.

it looks like this might have been a selling feature (cannot imagine gasoline theft being a huge problem in 1949)

anyway, it looks like a pain in the a** at the moment. I cannot get it open, and have been running a wire to the coil

with a canister under the hood to supply gas.

I'm sure the entire car will need the electrical system renovated. nonetheless......it's a really cool looking car.

I've owned 50's thru 2006 mopars.......this is my first 40's, and second 6 volt vehicle.

any opinions on keeping 6v versus making the change to 12v?   I've read a lot about keeping good connections with the

correct gauge wiring, so I'm interested in what you all have to add. thanks!

bobT

thanks for the links!

I understand the "Highlander" name for this now. lol

not sure if i'll go with it again when I get to the interior. I have a lot of time to put a plan of attack in motion.

also have a few questions regarding the shifting and proper method to engage the drivetrain, so if you can,

please advise. thanks!

ken

post-6645-0-63214400-1393385566_thumb.jpg

I'll just say that my car has always had the 6v, and I have no complaints. Have had the car for many years with no problems. The main "trick" is to have good heavy gauge, or the proper gauge wires and wiring, and a good healthy battery.

That's a beautiful car, I'd certainly stick close to stock with that one. Looks like a little bit of work, but it's going to be well worth it, that will be a real gem.

ken.

Edited by Lumpy

I'm in Hanover, John's in Scituate, I think.  Not too far, we should get together.  You need any particular parts that I might have?

I'm guessing that's an aftermarket visor on the car. I think I'd almost kill to find an original (style/type/stock) visor for Lumpy. I imagine they are a little bit pricey.

ken.

could not tell you what it is. came with the car. i'll look around on it to see if there are any numbers/markings and get back to you.