Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

Happy Halloween

1940plymouth

This used to be one of my favorite times of the year..but since moving here and the old biddies that closed the town claiming kids would go up to be ritual killers if they begged for candy one night out of the year took all the fun out of it for me.  In the last 15 years we have had probably 3 folks come to the door..I would not say they were all to blame..though they had a major role..the motorized division of rolling goblins and incorporated with greed..most candy fewest sq footage covered has set the tone these days.  So I just sit back now...enjoy the better climate with the early fall and wait till Thanksgiving and family.

We get very few people at our place, too. At the edge of town and big lots per house, so a lot of walking for a little candy. (Tim's Rule of Most Candy, Fewest Square-Footage.) But it's more than that.

The Chamber of Commerce holds an event where the kids can go downtown and load up on candy from all the offices and businesses before it even gets dark. And now several churches do "trunk-or-treat," where the kids can just go to one parking lot and visit all the different vehicles in an enclosed space. The churches do it for two reasons: First I'm sure they'd tout it as a safer alternative, and one that keeps the kids out of trouble, but I'm equally certain it's to help control the message and not let the poor tots go all pagan on 'em.

But there are still places where Halloween is like the Halloween of my youth.

I'll be going to the girlfriend's tonight. She's just down the block from possibly the premier trick-or-treat spot in Southeast Kansas, in Iola. There's an old teacher and his wife who fill the yard with decorations (including a 20-foot inflatable cat with glowing eyes and turning head), and hand out all sorts of goodies. It's a town of 6,000 people and last year their house and one directly across the street -- where the homeowner hands out candy while in costume on stilts -- each had over 2,000 kids. Word must have gotten out and the little buggers are infiltrating from all over the area.

My girlfriend's house had 400 kids last year. It makes a difference being just three doors down and across the street from the candy mecca. But that's still more kids than my folks have probably seen in the last five years combined in our town.

No kids. Not even the pack of little demons across the road came over. The dead motorcycles, and the generally dilapidated "haunted plantation" look tend to keep people away... That's a good thing. We are in fact pagan, and the usurpation of a holy day by commercial entities doesn't sit very well with me.

BIGSNOW_zps236b7021.jpg

Our place scares the local blacks... It was a working plantation before the war, a field hospital during. The war era road that runs through it is lined with sinkholes that are pretty convincing graves... The fossil that lives in the old manor house looks like HE is left over from back then. And has a dog named Sambeaux (Sambo)...

I got scared just looking at the house picture Scruf!

Kind of hard to fathom... it's over 170 years old. And is the "new" manor house, built circa 1841 (hand hewn floor timber is branded 1841) to replace the original one that burned down in 1836. I still turn up hand made brick from the first house and the log barn in the gardens. And there is an even older cabin pad that predates both manor houses. This has been a working farm since this was still part of North Carolina, TN became a full fledged state in 1796.

Lot of ghosts on this place if you are suceptible to that belief.