Changing Out My P-15 Oil Pan Gasket/ ? For You

fourleaf

Gents,

I ordered a oil pan gasket today for my p-15 and was wondering if you guys had any tips before i start the process. Do the bolts have to be tightened back to specs? I know not to use any sealents and just let the gasket do its job. Any help would be appreciated, thanks and have a blessed day!

I used a sealent on one side only on my pan side gaskets. I greased the other side and used grease only on the two end gaskets. By doing it this way it is easier to install the oil pan and it can be removed and reinstalled without a new gasket. I used a speed wrench to tighten the gasket and make sure you do not over-tighten as this will squish and distort the gasket. Do not trim the end pieces as pictured below.

099198858685lg.jpg

Pangasket1.jpg

I used a sealent on one side only on my pan side gaskets. I greased the other side and used grease only on the two end gaskets. By doing it this way it is easier to install the oil pan and it can be removed and reinstalled without a new gasket. I used a speed wrench to tighten the gasket and make sure you do not over-tighten as this will squish and distort the gasket. Do not trim the end pieces as pictured below.

099198858685lg.jpg

Pangasket1.jpg

Thanks Don, your always full of knowledge with these issues

Probably if you use do a search on the forum,you'll find lots of info...In a nutshell :

- Do Not Trim the ends they will protrude

- Don Coatney I believe suggested using a light coating of gasket cement (Permatex?) to glue the side pieces

to the oil pan and a light coating of grease on the top of the gasket, so the oil pan can be removed if rquired at a future date and not require replacing...I like that idea

Don said it best and posted first !  :)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

I plan on replacing my oil pan gasket while im doing the clutch in my 52,does fel pro make a 1 piece oil pan gasket for these cars yet?Mines leaking in the rear of the pan

I thought my rear main seal had gone after a constant oil trail appeared down the back of my pan a while back, but after making a new gasket set when doing a ring and valve job recently I realised I'd trimmed the ends before. Left excess on newly made set and hey presto, leak gone!