Headlight Info And Help Needed

Go to solution Solved by ggdad1951,

Work on the truck is going rather well.. a few issues have popped up but nothing major.

I want to replace the headlamps on the truck with UK type lenses and want to know the size I should be looking for, they appear to be OVER 8" but I`m not 100% sure how headlamps are measured.

It is a 12 volt system so in a PERFECT world I would like to get lights that I can replace the bulbs (brighter) as opposed to sealed units.

Thanks for any help,

TrOjAn

• Solution

there is a Bosch 12V headlight that is halogen if I remember right you can buy that will drop right in.  I have the PN at home.  I bought a pair to convert over my bullseye headlights someday.

Edited by ggdad1951

Standard US round sealed beam headlights from 1940 through now (with the exception of the smaller size "quad beam" style that came out in the 50s and was used into the early 70s) are PAR56 (parabolic aluminum reflector 56/8" or 7") lamp bulbs.

In the US it is easy to pick up 12v quartz-halogen versions of that at any auto supply. I believe they make bulb and reflector versions with European lenses too. Don't know about UK versions though.

I had to do the same with my 7" sealed beam headlights TrOjan, and the USA ones that I found to replace the non-functioning original ones were made to cater for a left hand drive vehicle. It was a little harder here in Oz to find 6V (as I am still running the 52 truck on that) sealed beam headlights. My 53 coupe truck has a 12V Lucas system so I intend going with the 12V halogen ones that Mark speaks of.

My Auto Electrician friend told me yesterday that a company in USA is planning on releasing 6V led headlamps within the next 12 months. A set of them would certainly light up the road better for me in the 52 truck - not that I do any night driving in it though!!!

Edited by Desotodav

• 2 weeks later...