Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

Remember That Wacky D24 Kustom? Was In Autorama Last Weekend.

BobT-47P15

On right......in primer w/white top.....second picture

In background in left pic.

Third pic---how it was not long ago.

Just posting this as it shows you can make a little bit of a silk purse from a sow's ear. 

And.....speaking of the unusual.........check out the Imperial rear section on this Ford convert......

(or, at least it resembles an Imperial)

post-22-0-01268400-1363055651_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-53238000-1363055990_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-12826600-1363056154_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-16923300-1363060336_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

A couple guys on the HAMB took lots of pictures.  There were many nice cars of the hotrod and custom type there....if

you like those.  I always enjoy seeing them, even if some are not my favorites. 

Between the high costs of admission (spectator or show entry), stupid high concessions prices, even higher prices at the non-food vendors... and that absolutely horrifying so called "music" played at most car shows... we quit going years ago. To any shows other than tiny local for fun get togethers where 50s music and surf music are banned. And I STILL get in trouble at the shows, apparently Metallica and Iron Maiden are "not suitable musical genres" for car/bike shows...

Whatever. The rugrats at the children's hospitals don't seem to care either way, the cars, trucks and bikes show up, their faces light up.

THAT says more about the hobby than some silly trophy gathering dust in the attic...

• Like 2

I recall way back in the mid 60's when I was in High School attending the Detroit Autorama with a friend who had a hot rod furd coupe that he displayed in the show. In those days the show promoters paid the car owners a small fee for bringing there cars to show. Payment was to be made at the end of the show. Problem was the gate money did not cover the money promised the folks who brought there cars. So the promoter grabbed the money and ran like heck at the end of the show and could not be found there by stiffing a lot of angry car owners.

Your patina pics are outdoors, where you'd expect them. Working vehicles in their natural environment. If I'm going to pony up the money for an indoor show, everything had better be indoor show caliber. No dirt, no rust, no primer, no grease/oil/fuel stains, flawless interiors... you know, museum grade. I like to see real working vehicles where they belong, outside. Be it an unrestored antique, a barn find, an old farm truck with an engine swap and lowered suspension...

Trying to get at least one of the toys back together for the children's hospital thing this year. Probably one of the motorcycles or the VW, they need the least amount of work (battery and license tab in the VWs case). The trucks need so much it will be another 5 years before they're street legal again, let alone easy on the eyes...

Edited by Scruffy49

I've never been to the Detroit show, but I gather COBO Hall has a main floor and a basement. 

On the main floor, for the most part, are very nice cars including those competing for the Ridler Award,

which goes to some extra nice, well executed vehicle.

In the basement, are the more "everyday" cars......the ones with patina, and so forth.......but are some real

nice ones there too.  Not sure what the criteria is for where you get to park. 

Evidently some of the upstairs people ignore those below, and vice versa and never go look at the "other"

type of cars.

There is a indoor show this coming weekend near me. It the Northeast Custom Car Show in Oaks,Pa. This is the 3rd year and I went to the last 2. The first year there were many very nice cars including the Ridler winner. There were lots of nice customs and hot rod of all kinds and was a good show. Last year all my car friend said the same thing I did..........was not that good. Last year was like going to any cruise nite with many cars I have seen on the road. I am going again this year and hope it is better or at least as good as the 1st year.

Hope it's good this year.  Lots of things go into producing a good show and getting above average cars to participate.

We have a local indoor event in February (I guess they held it this year....it just now dawned on me I didn't go and

can't recall any ads).  They usually manage to bring in a few extra nice cars from farther away as show stoppers......

but after that, many are locals who I've seen before.  No ratty rods, all cars are painted and upholstered and look

nice.   I don't know if they offer car owners any incentive to show up......I think there is an entry fee.....so maybe the

owners simply like to show their cars.