Another 218 or 230 Engine id help please!

19fortybizcoupe

I have a line on a engine that is a few hundred miles from me and I'm trying to do a long distance identification on it. the engine number is a T30b*72289 so immediately it sounds to be out of a truck. The guy pulled this motor out of a 51 Dodge the head does measure 23". I looked at the reference page here on this site and no listing with that prefix. There is a T308 but no T30b. What I want to accomplish is to figure out if its a 218 or 230. I know you can dip a wire down a plug on the head to measure the stroke, but I was hoping someone knew any facts on this motor. I also did some google searching, all i came up with is that there is a Caterpillar T30b forklift, not sure if maybe they ran this motor series in the forklift? Thanks in advance.

Also if there is a existing thread here, please share the link.

It's a T308 or likely a T306... I have a factory P15 engine block that is mis-stamped to where it looks like PI (eye)5... Not uncommon. The 230 donor from a 57 Savoy has a seriously strange code stamped in it. Probably from a rebuilder plant.

Not sure the displacement of the engine but if it helps T306 is 51-53 1/2 ton engine, T308 is a same years 3/4 ton engine. Both sizes were available in all 3 years. Per Donn Bunn truck book.

Okay... ID'd the engine block at Hagen's in Puyallup Wa when I lived out there, they said it was a mis-stamp. Never bothered to check the dozens of blocks/complete engines in the yard that had 50 or so old Mopars to compare. Wish I'd grabbed a few before all the antiques got crushed (company from California bought the yard and everything over 10 years old got sold as scrap). :mad: They even sent a Desoto Hemi to the junkyard in the sky. Traitors...