3/4 ton rear axle swap

watch out for that cloud...it's a good feeling when something works out well..I was just looking online for a new set of drums to have drop shipped to Moser to go from 6 lug to 5 lug pattern...seems they list 9 inch brakes on my axle..but in fact they are 11's..sent a request for a set of 11 if in stock..

Tim;

:D Yes.......and I am pretty certain my judgement was seriously clouded when I started on this truck. But I am making progress.....I think?

Hank I will get some pictures soon. I have to move my warehouse / truck shop out of the space it has been in to another space...after 3 1/2 years they finally have a tenant moving in :(

Jeff

Here are a few photos of the Grand Cherokee rear axle swap.

It is a pretty easy swap....most of the work was in fitting larger lug studs and reworking the brakes. My buddy Jon had the old axle out and the new one in ....in 2 hours. One more item off my punch list................. :D

Jeff

post-8378-13585370273008_thumb.jpg

post-8378-13585370273655_thumb.jpg

post-8378-13585370274226_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am getting prepared to do a very similar swap. I have a question: why did you have to upgrade to larger wheel lugs? I am planning on using the stock wheels and when I test fit them on the Cherokee axle, the studs appear fine. I am a newby at this kind of work and I am just trying to wrap my mind around every angle. BTW thanks for posting this. Jim

Hi Jim;

It is a long story.....but the short version is that I had several broken studs on my 3/4 ton. These studs were 9/16" and I could not find a viable substitute without going to a 5/8" dia. stud. I went ahead and did this and had the wheel holes opened up to fit the larger studs. And then.......I decided to upgrade the brakes and do the axle swap. That is done but it added to my fit up work.

Jeff