3.23 ratio rear axle?

Hi Guy's;

I was wondering if anyone out there is running a 3.23 rear axle with a flathead?

If so how is it? I have a 230 with a fluid drive 4 speed which I think will handle this rear axle ratio but it would be great to have some feedback from someone who has some actual experience with this set up.

Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jerry;

My tires are 28" as well so that is a good comparison. Did you do the swap after you had the truck a while? Is your engine in stock tune? I would like to hear some before and after details. As you may imagine I want to make as smart a decision as possible about the ratio selection.

My goal has been from the beginning to make this into a daily driver without changing too much from how it was as original. This rear axle swap and the front brakes will probably be the two most significant "modifications" I make.

Thanks for your input;

Jeff

I do have a Mopar 8 1/4 inch 3.23 diff from an 80s Diplomat in the 1955 Fargo 1/2 ton 108 inch wheel base, and 251 with 4speed, dry clutch.

Runs and performs well, no issues in take off from 2nd gear at any time., revs are a lot lower at 55-60 mph, than any 4.11 would be.

I am currently running 27 inch tires. I live in flat country, so no big hills to deal with, performs very well with a 3.23 diff....

Hi Jerry;

My tires are 28" as well so that is a good comparison. Did you do the swap after you had the truck a while? Is your engine in stock tune? I would like to hear some before and after details. As you may imagine I want to make as smart a decision as possible about the ratio selection.

My goal has been from the beginning to make this into a daily driver without changing too much from how it was as original. This rear axle swap and the front brakes will probably be the two most significant "modifications" I make.

Thanks for your input;

Jeff

Jeff , My engine is stock , rebuilt a few years ago , 218 . I have been driving it this way for several years too . OK , the before ; first gear was much too low and high wasn't high enough for the freeway . After : No problem starting off in first and great on the freeway , 70 mph all day . You live quite a distance away but if you ever get up this way we can take a ride . I had originally planed to put in a T5 transmission but that was ruled out because my emergency brake would be gone .

Thanks very much for your reply. That sounds great. Can you tell me what your axle came out of ? Or if it is a Dana 35 or another model?

Jeff

It is from a 1989 Dakota 4x4 , 9 x 2 1/2 " brake shoes , 3 " housing diameter (for shafts ) . My truck is a 1941 . I had a new drive shaft made too . Installed in 2001 .