RTV sealant

Oldguy48

I just recently purchased some Loctite Superflex Black RT Silicone sealer. The stuff comes in a pressurized canister with a built-in trigger to apply it. I've been having some issues with water leaks in my P15 when it rains, and I think this may be the answer I've been looking for. The RTV is easy to control during application and much less messy than the squeeze tubes or caulking gun type containers. I purchased mine from Summit Racing, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere also. I frequently shop at Lowe's and Home Depot but I've not seen it at either of those stores.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!! Just a short story about RTV and its first usage on a navy ship. When the clear stuff came out we thought is was best stuff since toast! We usually would use permatex to seal steam turbine case closed and for all other types of usages. Well no one mentioned to us that it really didn't seal water or oil that well on flanged surfaces so we went ahead and used it on numerous items one would find in an engine room. Well come to find out that RTV is good but when it set up oil or water would just flow out from the sealing surfaces and so we had to make a special trip down to San Francisco and open up all the equipment that we used the RTV and go back to the old black permatex. Lots of money down the drain because someone failed at the top end of the totem pole to mention that it only worked for particular purposes. Oh well got a free trip and learned a lesson.:D

I bought a used camper that had some water leaks. The prevous owner had put alot of clear RTV sealer on the seams, whick came off very easy with a scraper, so this sealer had not sealed anything.

I went to a camper supply an bought sealer for campers. I sold the camper soon after, so do not know if the camper sealer held up long.

I had small leaks in the rain gutters on my shop. I used gutter sealer when I installed the gutters. The gutter sealer was sure useless. The only thing it sticks to is my hands.

The only sealer I have had good luck with is Urethane windshield sealer.

It is expensive, has a short shelf life, but works on alot of different things...

I bought a used camper that had some water leaks. The prevous owner had put alot of clear RTV sealer on the seams, whick came off very easy with a scraper, so this sealer had not sealed anything.

I went to a camper supply an bought sealer for campers. I sold the camper soon after, so do not know if the camper sealer held up long.

I had small leaks in the rain gutters on my shop. I used gutter sealer when I installed the gutters. The gutter sealer was sure useless. The only thing it sticks to is my hands.

The only sealer I have had good luck with is Urethane windshield sealer.

It is expensive, has a short shelf life, but works on alot of different things...

Urethane windshield sealer will break down if the sun can get to it. That's why all windshields are painted black on the back side around the perimeter.

Just a tip!

Darren

I just recently purchased some Loctite Superflex Black RT Silicone sealer. The stuff comes in a pressurized canister with a built-in trigger to apply it. I've been having some issues with water leaks in my P15 when it rains, and I think this may be the answer I've been looking for. The RTV is easy to control during application and much less messy than the squeeze tubes or caulking gun type containers. I purchased mine from Summit Racing, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere also. I frequently shop at Lowe's and Home Depot but I've not seen it at either of those stores.

There is a proper use for all sealants, you need to get the right one for the job that your doing. I've seen RTV used on vent windows and windshields that prevented water leaks but the RTV clouded the plastic laminate between the glass, not a good result. If a proper sealer is used the results will be satisfactory. Do your homework before using the wrong stuff, it will save you time and money in the long run. Just my two cents.

;):D

There is a chemical that leaches from the silicone and can blister your paint and you get the little rust bubles. Almost every car I have seen with the rtv stuff around the windshield frame has rust around or under the silicone. Maybe someone else can tell you the why or how this happens.

Just sayin be careful.

I've been using RTV high temp silicon for years on exhaust manifolds, head pipes , and any other engine gaskets that I need. The biggest thing I've found is you need to let it set up.

I used it to reseal the old water pump off the original 251 from my Desoto. Then installed it on my 218 and again more silicon between the block and pump. Also used it between the bare metal surfaces on the intake and exhaust manifolds, and block, as well. Not a single leak anywhere.