"47 motor on stand,what next?

supertweet

picked up a 47 truck years ago, removed engine, buddy got truck. engine now on stand, draining oil, next remove oil pan or head? just want to know what condition and can it get running again. all bolts have come loose real easy, # on block T118G12290. lower # bside oil sending tube 66029.

#below and left of distributorK 1 0. just weather siezed? thx,Dave

I got this one running, take of the head and pan, take a look, and go for it. Mine had the head OFF for 17 years, the bottom was still good. Lots of fun and I'm not a mechanic!!!

post-23-1358536628776_thumb.jpg

post-23-13585366288844_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming

I'd do both. If its been sitting that long you may have some stuck valves that need to be freed up. When you're done with the top end, I'd drop the pan before you flip it upside down to check a rod and a main bearing, and clean up the oil intake if it is sludged up. Mike

oil pan off, lots of sludge but crank/cam/pistons look clean underneath it all, will clean up, then pull head.what is the move to free up the valves and check rod and main bearings ? will try to post photo later,Thanks,Dave.

I would get it turning 1st, then the stuck valves stay up, and you can lightly tap em' back and forth. It should probably get a valve job while you are at it, it never hurts to try at least, so removing and cleaning the valves is no big deal.

If you have sludge in the pan, likely you have sludge in the valve spring area. Pull the side covers off, clean out the sludge and spray some penetrant on the valve stems before you try turning it over.

pulled head, pistons bored 30 over, can see the crosshatching,slight ridge but not too big. main bearing says 08-56, so it was redone awhile ago. main bearings scored a bit, crank slight ridge that doesnt quite catch your fingernail. took one piston out, will remove others in a.m. then remove valves ?

wondering if i can use these pistons, and inst. new bearings,rings, etc.? send crank out for grinding? same with cam? back from upper valley with '48, harvested trunk lids and door from '40's cars, rotting in bush. plymouth business coupe, couple chevys there too, all rusted but some front clips and fenders left, maybe i should photodoc.and post, that stuff wont weather too much longer... thanks Dave.