Floor Hardware

jmooner3

I either used 5/16 in. by 1 in. galvanized lag screws with the old clips or, when the old clips were gone, I used these from McMaster Carr.

P/N 94850A150 Tapped-hole No-slip Clip-on Nut, 5/16"-18 Sz,.025"-.150"panel,.562"hole Ctr To Edge

P/N 92979A249 Grade 5 Zinc-plated Stl Hex Flange Cap Screw, 5/16"-18 Thread, 3/4" Length, Fully Threaded

Originally these were 5/16"-24 (fine thread) with like u-nuts clipped to the floor panels. They were used with a peripheral tooth lock washer. Problem is new fine thread u-nuts are impossible to find these days.

Edited by John-T-53

from what I've seen, the B-1 had uncoated square thread bolts screwed into J-nuts, the B-3 had fine thread bolts screwed into a type of U-nut...I haven't replaced any yet, but I'd see about using a phospate coated extruded U-nut with a zinc-plated coarse thread bolt because they are easy to get and are rarely seen. The extruded U-nuts distort at final bolt torque to lock the bolt in place, similar to a helical spring lockwasher. They work really well in sheet metal applications, and the modern coatings virtually eliminate corrosion at the threads.