Best 6V battery

TheMoose

My posting was not ment to be offensive nor to insult your knowledge expertise. I only wanted to point out that there have been optima problems with others. I really do not care what direction you elect to go. But I, personally, like to gather as much information as I can prior to making the final decision. I thought you might also like this information and that is why I made this posting.

Care to tell more about your VW racer?

Sorry if that came out snooty, wasn't ment to be, I was just saying I didn't understand how voltage comming from a generator is different from that coming from an altenator.

As for my race car here is a couple of pics.

It's a 1969 Autodynamics Deserter, tube frame mid engine Volkswagen powered.

Weighs 1200 lbs with driver, approx 200 HP 88" wheelbase, VW Rhino case Transmission with Close ratio gears & a 4.86:1 ring & pinion.

racerside.jpg

side.jpg

racermotor.jpg

racerrunning-1.jpg

Just a note, if you want an Optima 6V batt don't go to Autozone or O'reilly's.

They want $199 for it but Amazon has it for $116.

$199.00

-$116.00

$ 83.00

-shipping for something really heavy? Or is that already included, if so that is a smoking good deal if you don't mind waiting for it.

Moose...I can't rememeber the company, they advertise in hemmings, that puts an optima inside a period correct battery case with mopar script on it....talf about$$$$$$:eek:

$199.00

-$116.00

$ 83.00

-shipping for something really heavy? Or is that already included, if so that is a smoking good deal if you don't mind waiting for it.

Moose...I can't rememeber the company, they advertise in hemmings, that puts an optima inside a period correct battery case with mopar script on it....talf about$$$$$$:eek:

I'm an Amazon prime member so 2 day shipping is free!.

I saw one of those battery cases, looked neat but at around $80 & since my battery is hidden under the floor I think I'll pass!

I'm waiting until after I change to larger cables before ordering mine though, just wanted to pass along the price Amazon has.

I'm an Amazon prime member so 2 day shipping is free!.

I saw one of those battery cases, looked neat but at around $80 & since my battery is hidden under the floor I think I'll pass!

I'm waiting until after I change to larger cables before ordering mine though, just wanted to pass along the price Amazon has.

I made the pattern for a battery tray and Bob put in the Pilot's Knowledge section. It won't have the ribs on the bottom, but otherwise is spot on.

I have an Optima 6V in my B2B. The only reason is because the 6V alternator I purchased requires it. I got the alternator from Fifth Avenue in Kansas and they recommended the Optima. I've had no issues with it, although I did have to fabricate the hold-down because at that time Optima didn't make a battery box for their 6V.

I'd be careful jumping w a 12 volt. If you're going to do that, make sure you disconnect the ground cable from the battery, and jump around it-not through it. As a kid I blew the top off a 6 volt batt jumping it w 12 volts. Also-you're going to have to watch the only electric guage(fuel) and any other 6 volt accessories that you have. I know for a fact that it won't stand 12V. The folks are giving you good advice here on the cables. With a 6 volt system, the amp draw is twice what a 12 volt uses. Good grounds, the right size cables and tight connections make all the difference. Mike

Looked closer at the cable & it's a 2 gauge, is that suffecent or should I get a 0?

Get 0 gauge. You can buy the wire,the terminals,and solder pellets at the auto parts store and make them yourself if you have a propane torch.

My battery and cables were swapped out in 1994. Les Schwab brand (tire chain out west). Ford 8n/9n tractor stuff. Great battery, cables are a bit light. New set are 0000 power inverter cable from my C60 utility bucket truck. A full inch thick.

You can jump 12 to 6, just make sure the donor is turned OFF. If it doesn't start after 2 or 3 tries, forget it. I've jump started dozens of 6V motorcycles with a 1000 amp truck 12V.

Best 6V battery? Go to Mack trucks, tell them you are working with an early 70s R685. Monster amperage.