Hunting for your flatheads

41/53dodges

i am hunting for old flatheads, total scrap to useable condition, gonna use them for parts to assemble a couple of radical ideas i have been just dying to try, so even a cracked block is perfectly acceptable. the cheaper and closer the better. i dont mind any damage, be it locked up, thrown rods, anything under the sun!

thanks,

josh

Ive got two, one out of vehicle on a dolly (ran when taken out??) and one still in a frame, (locked up ???) you take out, and take both!! FREE !!! lol, Cass, alias Littlemo...( Southeast Missouri ):D ( One of them's gone, headed for Festus mo !!)

Edited by littlemo

I know where there are a few but I am on southern Ontario, too far away.

Look around the junkyards. Don't overlook trucks or agricultural machinery, they may have the real good motor with hardened cylinder sleeves, and other heavy duty parts.

The primo engine is the 265 cu in job used in 52-54 Chrysler, 53-54 DeSoto, and heavy Dodge trucks (1 1/2 ton and up) to 1962. Also sold as industrial and marine engines. The best oil filter is the full flow, tower style filter but the partial flow is nearly as good.

You can convert any long block (25" block) to a 265 using the 4 3/4" stroke crankshaft and rods out of a 265.

I am building a 265 for my car using a crank and rods from an industrial engine with a cracked block, and a block from a 225 industrial engine. Yes they made a 225 flathead long block industrial engine, I was surprised too. Also have a couple of 251s from pre 52 Chryslers.

If you live in a semi rural area they sometimes turn up at farm sales. Massey made a lot of tractors and combines with Chrysler industrial engines.

Army surplus can be a fruitful source, the Dodge Power Wagons used in the military had flatheads up to 1968, long after they stopped using them in civilian Power Wagons, and they used a lot of industrial engines in aircraft tugs, generators, air compressors etc.

A rotted out Chris Craft at a marina might have a Crown Marine (Chrysler) heavy duty 265. You never know your luck. A lot of guys restoring old boats, throw them away and put in diesels.

I have even seen them on Craigslist and Kijiji.

Good hunting.

I know where there are a few but I am on southern Ontario' date=' too far away.

The primo engine is the 265 cu in job used in 52-54 Chrysler, 53-54 DeSoto, and heavy Dodge trucks (1 1/2 ton and up) to 1962. [/quote']

Here in the states the 265 engine was not an option for Desoto.

Here in the states the 265 engine was not an option for Desoto.

Hi Don, I checked a couple of ragged reference books and the 265 was not used in DeSoto in the US, but was stock equipment in Canadian made DeSotos as well as Chryslers in 1952, 53 and 54.

I'm not sure exactly when they went to the full flow (tower) oil filter but think it was on 51 or 52 Chryslers. Although I have seen one on a 49, of course it may not be the original engine. The same design of filters was used on 1951 Chrysler V8, that makes me think they put it on the six the same year.

Do you have an opinion on the oiling system of the full flow vs partial flow? My impression is, it is nice to have but not a deal breaker. If you change oil regularly it will not make a noticeable difference to engine life. What do you think?