Removing Key locks in doors

Labrauer

I want to get my door locks rekeyed as I don't have a key to them on my 48 plymouth. Passangers side lock came right out but can't get the drivers side out for nothing. The alen wrench is striped out so I tried an ez out with no luck so far. Question can a lock smith key the one that is out so it will also work on the drivers side? Anyone know? Or anyone have any suggestions on geting the other one out so I can take both to lock smith?

Thanks,

Larry:(

I want to get my door locks rekeyed as I don't have a key to them on my 48 plymouth. Passangers side lock came right out but can't get the drivers side out for nothing. The alen wrench is striped out so I tried an ez out with no luck so far. Question can a lock smith key the one that is out so it will also work on the drivers side? Anyone know? Or anyone have any suggestions on geting the other one out so I can take both to lock smith?

Thanks,

Larry:(

1 is all you will need, any decent old time lock smith can re-key to the 1 lock cyl you have out. If both door lock cyls used the same key, no problem, it will work both sides. You may want to lube the side that is in car, and spray a graphite type spray as a finally.

The locksmith that re-key my door locks did it by feel, he did not take them apart to go by tumbler lengths, they work well..

Larry,

I had the same sort of problem with my right-side door lock and took a "reverse EZ Out" (made for doing with nuts what EZ Outs do with studs) and with what I felt was too little pressure I ripped a 1" square chunk of metal right out of the door. That was several years ago but it seems to me there was something in the assembly that kept the bolt from turning although I can't remember for sure. Maybe somebody here could refresh my memory and in the meantime be more gentle with it than you think you need to.

-Randy

Thanks for the information guys on the locks. I will take the one I have and see if they can make a key so it will fit both sides of the car. I have tried everything I know to get the other out but no buge at all. I tried drilling, using ez outs lube and letting it set for a day or two but no dice. Hopefully I can get it all straightened out today.

Anyway thanks for waying in on the question this forum is the greatest,

Larry:rolleyes:

Thanks for the information guys on the locks. I will take the one I have and see if they can make a key so it will fit both sides of the car. I have tried everything I know to get the other out but no buge at all. I tried drilling, using ez outs lube and letting it set for a day or two but no dice. Hopefully I can get it all straightened out today.

Anyway thanks for waying in on the question this forum is the greatest,

Larry:rolleyes:

You only need the one lock for the locksmith to make keys. You should make sure the locksmith can cut keys to code. This is a machine that does not need a key sample to cut key depths. Also make sure you tell him that you have 2 other locks in the car that work on this same key code this way he is careful not to mix up the pin depths when he takes the lock apart. This is very important. If he does, you are screwed unless you can remove the driver’s side door lock or the ignition. With these door locks tell the locksmith that the cylinders do not come out easily so he should remove the pins via the top pin cap. Find a guy that is happy with a challenge. PS he probably does not have the blanks unless he is an old-timer. You can get blanks from key-men.com or ebay.

Good luck, Chet…

Originally the ignition and door locks were keyed the same. However, if your ignition key does not work in either door, it must have been replaced at some time. It is also possible that one of the door locks has been replaced at some time. If you are lucky, you can have a key made for the passenger door that will also work in the drivers door. If not, then you could simply lock the drivers door from the inside and use the keyed lock on the passenger side to lock the car. Yes, it is inconvenient, but if, like many of us, you use the car infrequently then it is a possible solution. You can also buy a new lock with a key from places like Roberts or Bernbaum.

Dave

That's going to be the problem around here finding an old timer that does lock work. All we have are young people that think they are lock smiths because they can pick a lock or two. Anyway I left the lock with him and he so happens to have only two blanks that will fit the lock so I am keeping my fingers scrossed that he can make them work. Just like cars all we have around here are cars no later than 2005 all the junk yards crush the cars as fast as they can seems like.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the locks back from the lock smith today after $ 180.00 and the door key doesn't fit the trunk lock so I got two different keys that work both locks. only thing is the key that fits the passenger side of the car doesn't fit the drivers side the one I can't get out. I,m going to keep trying to get it out some how so they can be keyed alike. I know I can just use one but like you said it would be an incanvence. I guess at some time the ignition and that door lock got changed out before I got the car. Just my luck these days. Oh well.

Thanks for all fo the information and responce on this you guys are the greatest,

Larry Brauer:cool:

Edited by Labrauer

Disclaimer: I've never done this on a Mopar, but it works on old GM products and I think the Mopar works the same.

If you can round up some spare lock cylinders, take one (or more) apart. They have different height pins that are a negative copy match the height of the different areas on the key. When the correct key area matches the correct pin height, it will not prevent the cylinder from rotating (other pins may still prevent it though) - get all the pins the right height to match the key, and the cylinder will rotate, and you've just rekeyed the lock yourself. With a few locks, you can usually mix-and-match the pins and get an existing key working. (Dirty little secret is that you don't really need all the pins put back in place. So instead of matching 5 pins, you can leave one out and match 4 pins height, meaning a wider variety of keys would work for that lock, any key height would match the missing pin.)

The pins are tiny, fiddly things, and there are tiny springs under them - it's a bit of a pain, but it can be done at home on a clean flat workbench (no little crevices to hide the pins when the springs eject them) and hopefully on a tile floor (no carpet to hide things either). I used a little PVC water pipe with a slot cut in it, a couple of inches long, to stand in for my cylinder so I could swap pins.