318/5.2 L Mopar Fuel-Inj. manifold swap ??

littlemo

• 4 months later...

Weather around here still rather cool and damp, but occasional hints of Spring, :rolleyes:  so time to organize my next "to-do" list; #1; install new starter, #2 install new Alternator, #3 take drive shaft to have it cut to length and balanced, #4 begin installation of my new Wiring Harness, and #6 get this baby running and backed out of the garage on its own !!!  Whooieee !!! That'll make me happy !! Cass, alias littlemo... :P  Ehh, what happened to #5 ???  :confused:   :mad:

Edited by littlemo

My "To-Do" list seems to be coming along nicely. I installed my new Alternator and purchased the new starter for the 318; now to get it on. :rolleyes:  In addition my E_Z Wiring kit arrived and a friend dropped off my new "rebuilt & shortened" drive shaft !!! :)  "the FUN" begins !!  :D

post-3305-0-33130500-1396798293_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-09463400-1396798307_thumb.jpg

I sort of fast forwarded through this tread.. I was wondering if you used the stock rear springs under your Plym?

When I was rebuilding the running gear on my '39 Plym I optded of a GM 8-3/4" ten bolt rearend because of size, it was the same size weigth wise as the original..

My v8 engine and automatic trans was to much for the stock Plymouth rear springs,, I went to a set of springs made by Posie for the Plymouth, We also made a new set of improved rear shackles,,

i have  posies  rear super slide leafs on my  40  ddoge,, they  lowered the car about  2 inches  i think and ride  nice,,also  have  bilstien  rear shocks made just for the posie  lowering  leafs, mounted in the stock  location and a   fat  sway bar,,,

Although I had "offset" my 318 engine approx 1.5 in. to the passenger side of of the engine compartment, there still wasn't enough room between the block and the steering sector to enstall the stock starter. :confused:  After a couple PM's to fellow forum members and a little more research, I finally opted on a new  "Mini" torque reduction starter designed to fit a 90's Dakota and early 90's to mid 90's  2wd Ram truck or van with the 318 engine (??)  This starter fit perfect and clears the stock steering sector with room to spare.( Ultima # 17466) :D  Hope it works as good as it fit??? Will let you know when I get it "wired to start & run !!!"  :cool:

post-3305-0-09789500-1397255836_thumb.jpg

Edited by littlemo

Although I had "offset" my 318 engine approx 1.5 in. to the passenger side of of the engine compartment, there still wasn't enough room between the block and the steering sector to enstall the stock starter. :confused:  After a couple PM's to fellow forum members and a little more research, I finally opted on a new  "Mini" torque reduction starter designed to fit a 90's Dakota and early 90's to mid 90's  2wd Ram truck or van with the 318 engine (??)  This starter fit perfect and clears the stock steering sector with room to spare.( Ultima # 17466) :D  Hope it works as good as it fit??? Will let you know when I get it "wired to start & run !!!"  :cool:

from your pic  it doesnt look like th high torque starter from the turcks,,,which was originally  from the mopar performace side,,,the one  u have  pictured looks like the min  starter,,  im not sure where it was used as  i have the same mini  in  my  coupe,,,one of these day  im going to pick up the high torque starter as they run for ever,,,,

• 4 weeks later...

fstfish66;  When you change over to the "High-Torque" starter, let me know the results; I would like to know if there's a big advantage in going that direction ?? . Thanks for the info .. :D   Cass, alias littlemo....

Edited by littlemo

fstfish66;  When you change over to the "High-Torque" starter, let me know the results; I would like to know if there's a big advantage in going that direction ?? . Thanks for the info .. :D   Cass, alias littlemo....

the  factory  hi  torque  or after market starters  turn  faster  using  less  power  to do it the nthe older starters and they  last  a long time,,,,  any  dakota or  dodge ram  truck with a 318 or 360  from  the  late 1990s  to 2002  uses  this type starter

That was what I was led to believe as well, and what I stipulated when ordering my current starter from O'Reilly Auto Parts. :confused:  The starter they supplied was an Ultima #17466 , which is what I currently have installed. :P  Thanks, Cass alias littlemo ...

Some folks call them 'Peanut', or 'Dak' or high torque starters, but my limited 'new-parts' exposure says they are all the same. I do know that they are small and work well in all of my EarlyHemi applications.   $80 on ebay.....

Don't know if this will help anyone but; while attaching my "rebuilt and shortened" driveshaft with new 7260 u-joints (referred to as "the small Dodge" joint)  to the 741 rearend I had put in the 48 a couple years ago, I ran into a trial and error, running exchange with my parts store to find the proper u-joint straps. :confused:   Each set I would try, something wouldn't be right. :eek:  The dia. of the c-clips were wrong, the dia. of the bolts that thread into the rear yoke or the thread type would be incorrect. For the record, The final solution was a pair of "Dorman" U-Joint repair kits # 81006. The clips were the correct dia. for those u-joints and the bolts were 1/4 NF (20 or 22) TPI  which correctly fit that rear yoke . Note that the 741 is the "smaller" mopar rearend, the u-joint retention bolts were a smaller dia.then  other sets I had tried, and the Dorman kit specified being designed for 1310 or 1330 u-joint caps of 1.062" dia. as well as being manufactured in Taiwan ??? :mad:  But I used-em !!!  :cool:   Cass, alias littlemo

Edited by littlemo

• 1 month later...

Considering relocating the radiator to the front of the support bracket in order to gain additional clearance between my cooling fan and my radiator; Question is, what to do with the "latch-plate support " ?? those of you who have made this modification please elaborate .  Thanks, Cass alias littlemo..   :confused:    PS: Sorry about picture quality !!

post-3305-0-68825600-1404859040_thumb.jpg

The latch plate stays but the horn bracket and horns need to be removed. The core support needs to be unbolted and flipped around or the cross-bar for the horn bracket needs to be cut off and reattached to the other side by grinding the rivets off and re riveting or bolting.

Thanks Guys, will follow your advice; I was just wondering if that "Hood Latch Plate" would be solid enough without the "Horn" brace,  you have put my fears to rest!!   :rolleyes:   Cass, alias littlemo...  PS: Thanks Don for the pics !! What are you using for horns ??

Edited by littlemo