Battery Tray pattern and more

Bob_Koch

Mark Fritsche has provided pictures and drawings a for replacement battery holder, hub wrench and ignition switch wrenches. They're posted on the DPETCA site for easy, permanent access.

Enjoy:

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/know.htm

Anyone with helpful information can always send it to me and I will post it so that everyone can have easy access to the information. Thanks again to those who have already done so.

just so you all know...they worked for me so no yelling if something doesn't quite fit right! :P I can tweak anything on the models/drawings if you need them to be, just PM me.

• 2 years later...

going through my stash of parts, I found an NOS battery tray, but looking at the parts book, the part number written on the back of the tray is for the larger trucks.  Comparing to the battery trays in the '48 & '49, it appears the subtle difference is in the dimensions of the tray as the big truck tray looks identical to the smaller truck tray.  But the parts book does not really say that this tray is used on all B-series 1/2, 3/4 & 1-ton trucks.  So I got curious and looked at the '51s next to the house, as well as the B4 Spring Special, and it appears there was a change somewhere along the way that the tray was eliminated in favor of just using the support found in the frame section of the parts book.  Judging from the condition of the trays I have, they didn't last too long when exposed to the corrosive effects of leaky batteries & road debris.  With the formed lip along the length of the support, and the presence of the hold down bolts, the tray seems to be a belt & suspender approach to containing the battery, and possibly a carryover from the car side of the business.

large.smBATTtrayNOSbig.jpg.c1715f90c9954401da00486c7652a116.jpg

post-2888-0-41671300-1382300874_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-23407500-1382300894_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-78048800-1382300923_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-76896800-1382300957_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-26371700-1382301007_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures
  • Like 1

That tray looks just like my Route Van tray.  What are the dimensions of your tray?  My tray is bolted down using the two holes in the bottom of the tray shown in your first image.  It looks identical to mine.

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

large.smBATTtrayNORS.jpg.9df5282a3dae8485bac04f02744548bc.jpg

I found this battery tray in my stash last week.  It is an NORS tray by Holman for Dodge & Plymouth 1941-48 inclusive.  It is sized for Group 1 batteries, and is of a cheaper construction than the Mopar Group 2 tray, as can be seen by the gaps at the corners and lack of drain nozzle.

Edited by JBNeal
revised picture

A 1942 DeSoto owner just gave me this same #957778 MoPar tray.... I thought it was for my 46-8 Chrysler cars? And it is, plus it fits all 1941-8 cars. In the truck line as mentioned it fits the bigger trucks-specifically the F through K trucks,1-1/2 to 2-1/2 ton models 1948-53 all according to the books.

Bob

post-302-0-11591600-1384660099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1