help with fluid drive

I have a local shop that has a forklift with a 1952 plymouth flathead and a fluid drive type transmission with a floor shift. They need to replace the flywheel and have the transmission and clutch removed, They are unsure how to remove the fluid drive part to get to the flywheel . Anyone care to help with ideas or call them with suggestions?

On an automotive fluid drive there is no flywheel. The clutch is bolted to the fluid coupling which has the ring gear on it. (fluid coupling looks like a torque converter)

The "fluid coupling" is what makes it possible to let the clutch out without stalling the engine. With a flywheel the engine would stall. The fluid coupling replaces the flywheel

No need to remove the "fluid coupling", remove the transmission, support the back of the engine, remove the bellhousing, unbolt the clutch from the "fluid coupling".

This is an 1949 Chrysler M6/fluid drive setup...should be very similar if not the same as a fork lift setup

M6_FluidCoupler_Clutch_1-2.jpg

These 8 studs go onto the rear of the crankshaft...there is no flywheel, you shouldn't need to remove the fluid coupling to do a clutch job

M6_FluidCoupler_Clutch_3.jpg

Edited by PatS....

There will be 8 nuts on the front side of the crank flange.

P1171590.jpg

Remove these and the fluid drive assembly will come out. BE CAREFULL, IT'S HEAVY!!! Once it's out you can replace the ring gear just like it was on a regular flywheel.

Before removing it I would recommend making some king of mark across the FD unit and the crank flange. The 8 studs are not symetrical. It only goes on 1 way. If you mark it's orientation itll be easier to install later.

Here's the mark I put on mine when I last removed it. Unfortunetly I wiped it off when I was cleaning things before assembly and I had to eyeball things to besure I had it right before lifting it up into place.

P1171591.jpg