Carb Fuel Starvation...

fedoragent

Folks,

I had a question, I've never been one for adjusting carbs. I have a scenario that I want to run by you folks. Recently, a new electric fuel pump was installed on the ol girl. It just seems that EVERYTHING is dying on her and she's wanting new parts. The new fuel pump had too much pressure (rated at 5-9 psi) and therefore, a fuel pressure regulator was put on before the fuel line enters the carb. The car starts, runs, accelerates and weirdly...if you get to 45 to 50 the car feels like it isn't getting enough gas. Sometimes it will stall on out completely and will start right on up again and be down the road. If I remove the pressure regulator, gas starts streaming out of the carb. Since I don't want to flash and continue enjoying life...I put the regulator back in. Now, I'm convinced that my carb needed to be rebuilt WAY before this as it was leaking fuel. I am waiting for my new Holley Weber 5200 on the way. However, I want to drive her this week to a show. Is there anything I can do to adjust the carb with the presence of the pressure regulator to temporarily fix this? The idle does feel really really low. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

FG.

I dont recall but was there a problem with your original mechanical fuel pump and is that the reason you went with an electric pump? Better question is would it be possible to re-install your original pump?

I checked and the CFM for a 5200 Holly Weber is rated at 280 CFM. You might want to read this thread linked below.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=14778

Also here is an interesting article on the 5200

http://www.surpluselectron.com/aaron/holley.htm

I dont recall but was there a problem with your original mechanical fuel pump and is that the reason you went with an electric pump? Better question is would it be possible to re-install your original pump?

I checked and the CFM for a 5200 Holly Weber is rated at 280 CFM. You might want to read this thread linked below.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=14778

Also here is an interesting article on the 5200

http://www.surpluselectron.com/aaron/holley.htm

Don,

Thanks for the GREAT information. I read both thread and article over morning coffee at the cafe! Very informative. My wife even read the article over curiousity. I have never had problems with my mechanical fuel pump...because I never had one. There is a blocking plate there where it used to be though. Are you suggesting that an original be put in place and that would control the pressure and flow?

Thanks again. :) It's a drag going only about 40/45.

FG.

I have never had any problems with my mechanical fuel pump (over 40,000 miles) and with using it there is no pressure regulator required. I am not suggesting you switch to a mechanical fuel pump. I am only stating what works for me.

As far as adjusting your carburetor to run better at speed the only high speed adjustment is to re-size the high speed jet. I do not recall anyone having done that unless they are running full bore all the time such as in a racing application.

I do hope your new carburetor works out for you. Most folks who switch to the Holly Weber carburetors do so in pairs not a single carburetor. I have a pair of these Holly Weber carburetors sitting in my garage but I have not had a need to install them on my engine as my twin Carter B&B's are working well.

Edited by Don Coatney

You may want to take a check of the carb float level adjustment. If the float level is too low, it would cause the engine too run lean.

i think i have this issue right now as my car runs great in any speed as long as i keep my foot down on the pedal. The moment i put my foot pressed on one spot on the pedal....it begins to spudder...but i can accelerate and coast in any speed no problem! but if i have my foot on the pedal it better be accelarating the car!!!!