Running Boards - Again

I have attached three photos of the 72" running boards of my '51 B3C which show several rust-through holes that will be larger after sandblasting. I would like to take the boards to a local welding shop to replace the holes with sections taken from a donor board. Does anyone have a donor board of any length that they would be willing to sell?

I have also attached a photo which shows that I am missing the rear angle strut (on both sides) that supports the boards just forward of where the board bolts to the rear bumper. Does anyone have two struts that they would be willing to sell? I assume that I should replace the missing struts for added support. Correct?

P.S.: For those who might remember my recent thread regarding removeing sheared bolts from my running board brackets, I was able to remove the brackets with a spot weld cutter and remove the bolts from the back side with vice grips and heat. Minor success!

post-6619-13585357267803_thumb.jpg

post-6619-13585357268757_thumb.jpg

post-6619-13585357272727_thumb.jpg

post-6619-13585357273531_thumb.jpg

post-6619-13585357274623_thumb.jpg

Approximately how many square inches do you need? Cheapest way to ship would be to slip some smaller sections into a Postal box. I could probably find enough good sections on mine to do that and you could have them for that. I won't be using them - have something else in mind Your last board picture shows rust in a flat section. That one should be a plain old patch to do that one.

I've got a couple of crusty boards too, from a cab/chassis truck so they're short. But there may be a few usable pieces. I also recently removed all of the running board supports from this truck. They should all be the same except for the left front one. How many do you need?

I'm in North Carolina now and won't get home until Friday afternoon to have a look.

Merle

Dave:

Your suggestion to mail them in pieces probably makes sense. I don't know the size of the Postal Service boxes, but I suspect they might be big enough.

Excluding the hole in the flat section that you mentioned, I have three ragged holes that measure approx. 2"x4", and they will probably increase by at least 50% after sandblasting. I have 2-3 other areas that I'm afraid will open up after sandblasting. Thus, I will probably have 5-6 holes that have to be replaced. I would appreciate it if you could provide as many good sections as you can - even if it means using a larger box than the Postal Service. It may be that the other responders may also be able to provide some sections. I would rather have more than I need in case my welder buggers something up. Also, if any of the sections would include the short brackets, that would be great. I know that I will be at least short.

41/53 dodges:

I just received and responded to your email. A question- would you be able to cut out some of the better sections and mail them separately?

Merle:

I need two running board supports. Depending on what may be available from Dave and 41/53 dodges, I may not need any additional pieces. Then, you perhaps can work something out with 41/53 dodges.

Thank you all for your responses. I am optimistic that you folks can help solve my problem. What a Forum!!

not to intrude, merle, but how bad are the short boards? i am almost wondering if those would go well on my pickup if barry does not want them, as i will be mounting things to the side of the bed there.

They're pretty ruff. I can get some pictures to you when I get home, but to give you an idea I pulled them off of the support arms without the use of any tools.

Merle

They're pretty ruff. I can get some pictures to you when I get home, but to give you an idea I pulled them off of the support arms without the use of any tools.

Merle

that sounds familiar, but if it is patch-able with some remains i have if barry leaves a little, then i am interested.

Dave: I just sent you a PM (I hope) regarding running board sections.

Barry Maxwell

Just picked them up after work tonight from storage. I'd forgotten how bad they were but still have some good sections in them. I'll take a few measurements for what I need and get the cutoff wheel going tomorrow. Will need your address to ship.

Dave:

Thank you for your willingness to help. I really appreciate it. My name and address is:

Barry Maxwell

1902 Pheasant Ridge Road

Lewisburg, Pa. 17837

Please let me know your name, address and shipping cost so I know where to send the check. I would be glad to pay you for the sections that you are able to harvest.

Barry

wouldn't it be easier to buy these? Then use yours as patch panels?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/48-49-50-51-52-dodge-b-series-truck-long-running-boards-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58893f00e9QQitemZ380259729641QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Item number 380259729641 in case the link does not work.

They need a bunch of straightening it looks like, but most of the metal looks solid.

Just another option, I have no knowledge of the seller, or the boards, I just spotted them on E-bay.

Eric

I considered those boards some time ago when they were $50 plus $71 shipping. Althogh there is only one apparent rust through compared with mine, they are considerably more bent up and have several more sheared bolts than mine. All things considered, I chose the route I am on now. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Thank you for you suggestion, however. I appreciate it.

They should all be the same except for the left front one. How many do you need?

or struts as some of you are calling them, are NOT all the same on the pickup trucks, except the front drivers side front one.

I don't have a picture to share on my computer, but the rear ones (two on the short bed trucks, and four on the long bed trucks) are 1 inch shorter then the four that sit under the cab of the truck. They are not only a inch shorter, but the mounting holes are in different locations also.

I don't have a recent picture to show you the difference, but if you go to ebay Item number: 300482175020 at look close at the last picture in that auction you will be able to see the difference, in the length and the mounting holes for the running boards/brackets.

Edited by DodgeMan

Different length because the frame pinches in toward the front and the battery location dictates the left front location also. I think there's enough slot in the brackets to allow mounting in any of the locations if the mounting holes line up. I only had my front ones off for frame repair so can't attest to fitment in other locations.

• 1 month later...

In order to finish off this thread that I started on 10/11/10 regarding the need for a number of running board pieces to replace the holes in my running boards, I have attached a photo of the completed boards. The pieces were provided by Dave72dt of this Forum for the cost of postage. I took my boards to our local shop, together with the pieces, and they did their thing. Given what my boards looked like when I started, I am pleased with how they turned out and very appreciative of the willingness of Dave to help. Now all I have to do is weld some replacement brackets on the back side, prime them and put them away until it's warm enough to paint next spring. It will be awhile (a long while) until I am ready to install them on a completed truck.

Barry Maxwell

post-6619-1358535839342_thumb.jpg

Glad they worked out for you. Look a lot better on your boards than what was left of mine. Swiss cheese would have been optomistic for describing mine. I'm planning on fabricating new ones in a couple of months..