electric fuel pump

mikehalek

I havea AC Type EP-11 6 volt, 6 PSI electric fuel pump that will be going on my P15 with twi B&Bs with dual exhaust. Has anyone used this pump and what was your experience? This unit also has one electrical connector which adds to my confusion since I am electrically defecient. It is also good with 10% alcohol. Thanks, Mike

I had an Ac single wire fuel pump for 10 years. This worked fine and then the rubber diaphram just fell apart into small pieces.

I replaced it with the newer Airtex double wire 6v pump.

You should have the pump wired to a toggle switch so you can turn it off an on and the switch is wired to the ignition switch so that the power to the pump can only be activatd when the key is turned on for the car. If you do a hot feed then there is a good possibility that the battery could be drained and that the pump would pump gas tot he carb when you have the car in the garage a very dangerous situation.

I still run my single carb and have ample fuel pressure and ample gas I can not comment on the dual carb setup. Most of the owners use the electric as a backup pump to help prime the carb after the car has sat for several days and also as a backup incase there is a vapor lock or the mechanical pump fails.

rich hartung

desoto19392aol.com

I havea AC Type EP-11 6 volt, 6 PSI electric fuel pump that will be going on my P15 with twi B&Bs with dual exhaust. Has anyone used this pump and what was your experience? This unit also has one electrical connector which adds to my confusion since I am electrically defecient. It is also good with 10% alcohol. Thanks, Mike

You might want to use the search function to look for threads about electric fuel pumps as this issue has been discussed many times.

If you cant find the search function here is a link.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/search.php

To second the earlier post regarding how to wire an electric fuel pump: definitely be sure it is only turned on when the ignition is on. And you might further want to think about one of two ways to assure that, should the engine stall, the pump does not continue merrily pumping away. One strategy is to plumb in an oil pressure switch that only completes the circuit when the engine is showing, say, 5 pounds pressure (the fuel in the carburetor bowl will normally get things started, but I put an override switch on mine, to get the bowl refilled when the car has been sitting for awhile). The pressure switch must be "normally open," so it is then closed by pressure (I got mine from Summit Racing). The other strategy is an impact switch that cuts the power in the event of an accident. Some Ford vehicles come with one of these; they appear on eBay, and if you're at the pick-a-part junkyard, I believe the switch is located in the trunk area, inside the left rear fender. This helps reduce the fire risk in the event of a collision, but doesn't do anything to stop the pump if the engine just happens to die out when you're not looking (or not paying attention).