OT: Book on Flathead 6 Engine - Performance Modifications

fedoragent

I have a pdf file of a rebuild article from a Dodge truck restoration book. It covers everything from a stock rebuild to a hot built flathead. I also have the Tex Smith chapter in pdf. PM or email me at olddaddy@rustyhope.com and I'll send it to you. I think 150 hp out of the later engines is pretty possible. My 230 is balanced, bored over .030, block decked .010, head shaved .060, stainless valves, 2bbl carb, dual exhausts, electronic ignition. I would guess I am not too far below 150 hp with this minimal build. If you were really serious and could cross drill the crank, make some better pistons, better cam dual 2bbl carbs or supercharger etc. 150 hp should be easily achieved.

I have a pdf file of a rebuild article from a Dodge truck restoration book. It covers everything from a stock rebuild to a hot built flathead. I also have the Tex Smith chapter in pdf. PM or email me at olddaddy@rustyhope.com and I'll send it to you. I think 150 hp out of the later engines is pretty possible. My 230 is balanced, bored over .030, block decked .010, head shaved .060, stainless valves, 2bbl carb, dual exhausts, electronic ignition. I would guess I am not too far below 150 hp with this minimal build. If you were really serious and could cross drill the crank, make some better pistons, better cam dual 2bbl carbs or supercharger etc. 150 hp should be easily achieved.

I sent the email. BTW, with all those changes, how is the stability and reliability of the engine after all the mods?

Thanks,

FG.

Also, I don't know if the limitations on the L6 are the same as a Ford V8 flathead but getting 200 hp out of the Ford would cost you thousands of dollars.

Theres a hot rodder guy who lives by me who was building a ford flathead he said he got 180 HP at the rear wheels, the only thing I have to say about ford flatheads is that once you got the itchen for one nothing can satisfy till you got it, after owning a mopar flatty I just want to start collecting all kinds of flatheads

180 at the wheels....................show me the dyno slip. That would equate to 216 at the flywheel. And to that I would say IN YOUR DREAMS. Especially with no forced induction.

Ask him what dyno they strapped the car to.

Edited by greg g