Fender skirt rubber

Joe Flanagan

Is this the stuff that goes along the bottom of the inner fender pieces? That's the material I need to replace. It feels like a hybrid rubber/canvas material with fibers in it. Mine was stapled to the bottom edges of the inner fenders. Roberts advertises it as "fender skirt rubber." Just wanted to be sure.

I just used what we call insertion rubber ( diaphram rubber) 1/8" thick cut some strips off a sheet . Got it from a local suplier was cheeper than buying original and looks simalar to it.

Whatever it is called, it is the material that is stapled to the lower edges of the inner front fenders. These pieces are black and make up the enclosure of the engine bay. They are fastened to the finish fenders with sheet metal screws. It's the rubbery/canvas stuff that's stapled to the bottom of these pieces that I'm talking about.

I went to Lowe's and found a perfect material. It's a rubber baseboard material that is supposed to be attached to the wall with adhesive. It's about 4 inches wide and comes in three-foot lengths. It's the same thickness as the original stuff and about the same consistency. Someone here on the forum called me the other day and left a message stating that these things were originally called "splash guards." I didn't catch your name on the message but I wanted to thank you for going to the extra trouble to tell me that.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for dragging up such an old thread, but I'm in the process of doing all the paint and body work in the front clip of my '49 and was wondering how the rubber cove base material holds up over time? I have been wondering what I'm going to do for replacements and the thought had crossed my mind to use cove base but I wasn't real sure about it's longevity when exposed to outside elements, as it would be up under the fenders. Or, is there an actual answer to a source for replacement made to fit pieces? I plan on riveting whatever I use back to the inner fenders as I do not have a staple gun heavy duty enough to punch though the steel.

Thanks!

Sorry for dragging up such an old thread, but I'm in the process of doing all the paint and body work in the front clip of my '49 and was wondering how the rubber cove base material holds up over time? I have been wondering what I'm going to do for replacements and the thought had crossed my mind to use cove base but I wasn't real sure about it's longevity when exposed to outside elements, as it would be up under the fenders. Or, is there an actual answer to a source for replacement made to fit pieces? I plan on riveting whatever I use back to the inner fenders as I do not have a staple gun heavy duty enough to punch though the steel.

Thanks!

What I have seen other fellas do is use the same staple holes and insert either copper wire or regular fence wire through the steel and the rubber. Fence wire will rust...copper won't!! Looks factory on one side.

Darren

I think Roberts may sell it as "fender skirt rubber." Give them a call and check. I just figured I could save a little money by doing it myself. Plus, I thought the vinyl would serve the same purpose and be just as durable, if not more. Once you get everything in the engine compartment together, this stuff is really difficult to see--if the appearance is a concern.